Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finds Found: The thread where you say thanks to people who have hipped you to cool records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds Found: The thread where you say thanks to people who have hipped you to cool records

I love the Find threads and although I don't always post reactions I always look to see what other people are picking up

I'm amazed that people like LDJB, Sayers and Treeboy seem to pull a never-ending supply of sixties psych-mod-dancer singles
    I love Sonovox and nebkins charity shop/bootsale finds that keep the original Vinyl Vulture ethos alive
    And what can be said about Agnes Guano's one man mission to own every comedy record from the UK ever recorded????

In the main though I love the Finds threads because they put records in my mind. You know the feeling. You are looking at a record and you think "I've seen this somewhere. It must be good. Lets have a longer look." And that's just what happened to me with this one: All Night Long - Soundtrack

To be fair, I'd probably have given this a second look anyway. It's got Patrick McGoohan on the cover! But I knew I'd seen it before so when I saw it at the weekend I couldn't resist - plus it was cheap and I'm a skinflint!

So thanks Daddy Ya Ya - I wouldn't have this record without you

..Any more???
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

The first name that springs to mind is Towny, who put me onto so much stuff it was unbelievable.

Often these were things in my own collection that I'd dismissed as rubbish.

It usually went like this:

T - I see you've got a copy of '.....'
    Me - Yeah, I bought it a few years ago. It's in my crap pile.
    T - I really like the second from last track on side 1
    Digs it out and plays said track
    Me - Opened mouthed at hearing said fantastic track that for some reason my ears hadn't noticed was fantastic the first time I heard it.

A top bloke and much missed
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

With you on the Towny front Hayden mate.

Mini rant alert, you've been warned!

Just the other night a record come up in my wants on Discogs, a one Towny put me onto many moons ago. It doesn't come up that often, and can go for money. One hadn't sold on Discogs so there was no sales history, so the seller put it on for $5 or make an offer, I just buy it as it usually goes for around $200. I wake up the next morning to find a message from the seller stating "he entered it under the wrong code!", what ever that means! We all know the deal here...I'm pissed off I wish he was honest instead of palming me off with some bullshit excuse!
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post

So thanks Daddy Ya Ya - I wouldn't have this record without you
        Aww shucks - that's made my day ...and I was having a right shit one up until then
        "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

...and while I think about it ...

I've been moving thousands of my albums between Bristol & Coventry and found the cache of Mr Bongo Brazillian Beats box sets I'd promised to folks on here donkeys years ago, so do the following members still want theirs ? :

Expiry 2011
          Ad Mc
          Peter Beaver

Ayethengyew !
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

mr sayers, who put me onto the Scott Bradford - Rock Slides. Thank you sir.

treeboy who recommended Valentyne Suite by Colosseum, again much appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
              mr sayers, who put me onto the Scott Bradford - Rock Slides. Thank you sir.
              Your welcome mate...It was one of Towny's many tip offs.

Comment

Well this is the perfect opportunity to say a big thanks to Eine for sending me two absolutely lovely singles by a band called Joy of Cooking ('Closer to the Ground' & 'Brownsville'). Both absolute corkers! I'd never heard of this band until now and was a result of a lucky swap from the Matchmaker Matchmaker section. Can anyone shed more light on this brilliant band?

Comment

No worries Fortunate One. It was the least I could do for the sleeve you sent me. They were American and released one LP I think. Very nice funky feel to it.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

More than one LP I think, the one I was recommended is called Castles. Never heard it though. West coasters.

Picked up so many records after seeing them posted about on here, I can't remember who put me on to them but I'll post again when I can have a look and think.

Comment

I spend quite a lot of time chasing records people have posted up on here, both in the finds thread and the playlists. Big ups to Mr Sayers and The Tanners boys and The Eclectic Mud crew, keep them coming chaps I'm all ears. I know some people like to keep their top tunes close to their chest, which is fine, but I'm a firm believer in getting them out there and hopefully finding out a bit more about them, and exploring any leads that develop as a result. This has proved to be a marvellous platform for that, and probably explains why I'm skint most of the time
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Thanks for the props Paul mate, I always keep an eye on your finds as you have great taste/knowledge and like the same stuff as me, I've picked a couple of things up off the back of you posting them!

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                          I spend quite a lot of time chasing records people have posted up on here, both in the finds thread and the playlists. Big ups to Mr Sayers and The Tanners boys and The Eclectic Mud crew, keep them coming chaps I'm all ears. I know some people like to keep their top tunes close to their chest, which is fine, but I'm a firm believer in getting them out there and hopefully finding out a bit more about them, and exploring any leads that develop as a result. This has proved to be a marvellous platform for that, and probably explains why I'm skint most of the time
                          I totally agree with this, and great work Sayers and co for being the main thrust of playlists posted up on the board currently. DJing should be all about sharing music with others so it's an important bit +++

I used to post up tracklists regularly on here, but stopped being arsed a while ago i play out around twice a month so must endeavour to get back into the habit.
                          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Tom B for turning me on to a world of Brazilian music I never really knew existed.
                            I was meant to get back to you Tom on your swap CD and some of the tracks therein....
                            Haven't sorted out what I need to whittle down as there is so much great stuff.

I have discovered some of it is fairly expensive though!
                            Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                              I used to post up tracklists regularly on here, but stopped being arsed a while ago i play out around twice a month so must endeavour to get back into the habit.
                              Do it Joe mate...I for one like them, your tastes are a bit broader than mine, but the core of them are right up my street.

Comment

Working...
                              X