Jeannie C Riley - Harper Valley PTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeannie C Riley - Harper Valley PTA

I've been listening to this 7" a lot recently and it's bloody brilliant, one of my favourite songs. But it's the only thing I've got by her, anyone know anything else worth looking for?

And, by any chance, has anyone seen the TV series that was apparently made based on the song?
    Mixes, compilations and the like

I love this too, and I've picked up two LPs, both of which were pretty straight 'big hair' Country & Western sets, so not really my cup of tea (I say this as a confirmed fan of the Dolly Parton/Glen Campbell school of Country as well as the Bobbie Gentry/Tony Joe White and the Gram Parsons/Johnny Cash ones). Still, the chances seem good that there is other (later) stuff that's got more of that 45s Bobbie Gentry type vibe to it, but I've yet to find it myself...In fact, I strongly suspect there are lots of gems tucked away on late 60s - mid-70s C&W LPs (Tammy Wynette? Loretta Lynn? George Jones?) but so far, anyway, my relatively few punts haven't uncovered any unknown gems, just a lot of slick Nashville MOR & trad C&W alongside the obvious good ones...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Her version of 'Hush' is prretty cool

YEEEEEHAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I love Mary Hooper's version of Harper Valley....New Orleans country funk !

Comment

What are the LPs you've got Wayne? Is Hush a 45 Col?

Yeah, I think there must be some gems hidden around...if only because lots of the backing on Nashville records was done by Area Code 615 who are proper slideguitarharmonicafunk...

Comment

These are the two I've had...I had especially high hopes of the motorbike sleeved one...still lots more to find, though...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

There are a couple of good instrumental versions of Harper Valley out there - I like the one on the Reader's Digest Tijuana box set (Johnny Harris? Can't remember). Always reminds me a bit of Ode To Billie Joe, though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
                Is Hush a 45 Col?
                Yes mate...
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Excellent, will keep an eye out for that.

Wayne - I'd definitely pick up both of those if I saw them. Sock Soul? What a title! Girl most likely, indeed!

Comment

Jeannie

I have the Harpers Valley LP but also one called Jeannie (SSS Records 1972) which includes a great (and a bit weird) track - Will The Real Jesus Please Stand Up (I kid you not!) which is country meets soul/gospel with something that sounds like a sitar?! Not crazy uptempo stuff, but lovely all the same
                    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Boy, am I going to look for that!

Comment

Working...
                      X