Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new way of getting around paying?

Is this "scam" new or old?
    Winning bidder with 5 points, emails me asking question about item they won, queering some wording in title. Answer given and they say I am wrong about my knowledge of records and answer is wrong and they want to cancel altogether. I say no. Not allowing them to cancel because 20 years in record dealing shows I am correct/ accurate and non deceptive and I will open a non-paying bidder case in 4 days. Bidder simply leaves me positive feedback, appearing to have paid for it, so resolution centre case is non-applicable or a moot point.
    All I can do, it seems, is leave her neutral feedback. Another case of sellers taking it up the backside.
    Haron.

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
    As the Yanks say "deal with it".
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
      Heehee.. yep, am taking my advice and dealing with it. Got some great advice from someone - offline.
      At the very least, people can refer to the post here if they suspect it is happening to them. I won;t post the advice I got cos it was done in privacy.

Comment

Did it involve a cricket bat? It should have.
        Hull Music Archive

Comment

More eBay bad news.

I've not sold any music through eBay for a long time but is there anywhere else to offload, er, tat?

WF

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
            More eBay bad news.

I've not sold any music through eBay for a long time but is there anywhere else to offload, er, tat?

WF
            Ebay really don't get it, do they? They keep making selling more and more complicated, and expensive, so loads of people have stopped selling. So, because the profits are falling they... put their fees up. Hmmm, wonder what'll happen next? Suppose the shareholders don't care, so long as they get their cut.
            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
              More eBay bad news.

WF
              blimey thats some price rises, nor this news from ebay

Starting from 15 September, we will introduce requirements that all sellers take responsibility for return postage on items which are faulty or not as described. The majority of our sellers are already providing a great returns service, but for those sellers who choose not to facilitate a return or provide/fund return postage for items that are faulty or not as described, we may refund their buyers without requiring them to return the item and in turn we will seek reimbursement from sellers.
              and as for this

Charging for sales which end early. Currently eBay allows sellers to end one auction a year early without a charge. But from 14 August, sellers who end auctions more than 24 hours after the item's been listed will be charged at the same level as the final value fee – currently 10% of the final sale price (including postage) up to a maximum of £75, but this will increase to £250 from 1 September. Sellers who end auctions within 24 hours of the item being listed won't be charged.
              that would cost that guy who pulled that "Extradition" lp 25 quid in this thread

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...mpossible-odds

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                Ebay really don't get it, do they? They keep making selling more and more complicated, and expensive, so loads of people have stopped selling. So, because the profits are falling they... put their fees up. Hmmm, wonder what'll happen next? Suppose the shareholders don't care, so long as they get their cut.
                Even if Ebay raised their fees to 60% you'd still make more on selling them than you would to a shop/dealer

People talk on this website about an 'entitled generation' but then complain that a website that has given them unparalleled access to records they could never have possibly obtained pre-internet (at a fair market price) - and at the same time has enabled them to sell for about 70% more than they ever could before. You couldn't make it up.

Comment

people on this web site have also been using ebay since 2000, and it has changed a hell of a lot. remember when they only took 3%? or when they didnt take a cut of postage costs? when it was easy and cheap to list? ebay made a lot of money then. easily. all they have to do is supply the site and the money rolls in. all these new plans drive sellers away. its getting greedier and greedier and where it used to be a pleasnt experience its becoming harder and harder to enjoy paying them more and more for the same service.
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                    Charging for sales which end early. Currently eBay allows sellers to end one auction a year early without a charge. But from 14 August, sellers who end auctions more than 24 hours after the item's been listed will be charged at the same level as the final value fee – currently 10% of the final sale price (including postage) up to a maximum of £75, but this will increase to £250 from 1 September. Sellers who end auctions within 24 hours of the item being listed won't be charged.
                    Hmm. I'm not clear what this means. (where's my dunce hat gone?)

Do they mean end to the highest bidder only? You can sell to the current highest bidder, but does this mean they would charge an ending fee on a listing
                    start price that ends due to it being 'lost' or 'damaged' as well? Even though there is no actual winner?
                    I can't understand what the difference is if it just charges for selling to the current highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                      people on this web site have also been using ebay since 2000, and it has changed a hell of a lot. remember when they only took 3%? or when they didnt take a cut of postage costs? when it was easy and cheap to list? ebay made a lot of money then. easily. all they have to do is supply the site and the money rolls in. all these new plans drive sellers away. its getting greedier and greedier and where it used to be a pleasnt experience its becoming harder and harder to enjoy paying them more and more for the same service.
                      No shareholder in the world would be happy with a 3% return.

Ebay has changed the whole face of record collecting immeasurably for the better but all people ever do is moan about it

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Victor X Storm View Post
                        No shareholder in the world would be happy with a 3% return.

Ebay has changed the whole face of record collecting immeasurably for the better but all people ever do is moan about it
                        What do shareholders have to do with 3%? Ebay charged sellers 3% and made millions of dollars which were then divvied up to the shareholders, i have no idea what percentage they got... The fees went up to 10% and they continued to make billions of dollars. If they put their fees up to 15% that would be fine. It's the constant messing about with listing fees, extras, charging a percentage of the postage (???) and generally eeking out every extra cent they can, that irks...

Nobody is saying that ebay hasn't changed the world of record collecting immeasurably, what I'm saying is selling stuff on there is getting harder and harder. And they make sellers jump through more and more hoops - and it's such a pain in the arse that I can't be bothered with it any more. I used to sell ten records a week (500 a year?) - now I sell none. I'm obviously not alone, since sellers are leaving ebay in droves. All the "user agreement nectar points tv adverts" stuff is just bollocks. They had a winning formula and in my opinion have royally arsed it up, no doubt as a response to the demands of share-holders.
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                          blimey thats some price rises, nor this news from ebay

and as for this

that would cost that guy who pulled that "Extradition" lp 25 quid in this thread

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...mpossible-odds
                          Yes, that;s true. I had that same thought about analog-33, when I read the post. I agree with the people on here who say they are tired of and don;t sell on there anymore. I ALWAYS try to sell a record locally first. If my contacts don;t want it, then I offer it on ebay. It;s a buyers market and the prices are not at the same level as years ago. This is due in part to mainly USA sellers offering their stock at basement prices to compete the other thousands (?) of dealers in that country who have the same items e.g. MJ, Led Zep, P Floyd etc.. and this has a ripple effect cos prices are visible around the world. You can;t make money easily when the people around you are "racing to the bottom."
                          If you are feeling melancholy about it all as a seller, do not read this. I was alerted to this new rule by a good mate of mine from England.

http://tinyurl.com/kgxj3gx

Comment

eBay is shit. Discogs is better. Selling to your mates or doing private deals is obviously the best way to do business as your only outlay is the cost of the record itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day View Post
                              Hmm. I'm not clear what this means. (where's my dunce hat gone?)

Do they mean end to the highest bidder only? You can sell to the current highest bidder, but does this mean they would charge an ending fee on a listing
                              start price that ends due to it being 'lost' or 'damaged' as well? Even though there is no actual winner?
                              I can't understand what the difference is if it just charges for selling to the current highest bidder.
                              it means that if the seller ends the listing early they will still be charged the final value fee as it was when they ended it

so for example
                              your turntable which has "viewing welcome" has reached 200 quid and someone comes round and offers you a cash price which you accept , when you remove it ebay will still take 20 quid

or you work in a record shop and list high end lps on ebay as BINs as well as have them for sale in the shop, so if they sell in the shop , or on discogs, ebay still takes 10%

or you have hundreds of items on ebay and a genuine emergency crops up and you have to delist everything, ebay takes its 10% even though nothing sold

or on re checking you notice that that record you put up has a bid on it for 100 quid actually has a scratch on it that you didnt see before so you take it off , that'll cost you 10 quid thank you

or you see your best mate selling that hum dono album you've been after for years and plead with him to sell it to you, so he succumbs and removes it from ebay , they'll still want their 10% of whatever price it had reached (or was that just a dream I had last night lol)

bearing in mind in all these scenarios you've already paid a listing fee
                              Last edited by reza; 15-08-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X