No announcement yet.

Avon Cities - Jazz, Trad or Mixed Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avon Cities - Jazz, Trad or Mixed Bag?

Last weekend checked out the local, not that great (and rather pricey) record fair, but was intrigued by a group of 3 or 4 LPs by a group called Avon Cities in the jazz racks. Priced around a fiver apiece, they looked interesting, but hard to tell from the sleeves what they were about. Anyone come across these before? Like I say, looked very interesting, but without a listening deck handy not sure enough to punt blind on...might still be there next month, though, so seems worth asking just in case they're brilliant!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Bristol's finest! - I put a gorgeous track from one of their LPs on my mix last easter. I have three of their LPs - Blue Funk, Current AC, Bristol Fashion - and certainly the last two are worth checking, as they sneak in funky cuts amongst the trad stuff. They still play in Brizzle sometimes - not bad since they started in the late 50's. Trumpeter Geoff Nichols used to run an excellent second-hand record shop in Bristol - I wish I could go shopping again there now! More considered response later...

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

'Bristol Fashion' has a great track called 'Slood Mood' on it. It's on a compilation CD I did called 'The Easiest Way To Fall' that I'm pretty sure you have a copy of Wayne. You probably don't have a tracklist though. I'll dig one out.

Comment

I'll see if I can locate the track on your cd-r, Blighty - I remember all that being good stuff; and cheers for the titles to look for, John: will need to memorise the titles & tracks in question if they're still there next time the fair comes around. I remember one had a picture of the Clifton Suspension Bridge on the cover, another a bunch of blokes in cardies brandishing a variety of brass instruments (is that 'Bristol Fashion?' ) but can't recall much else except they did look circa late 60s - mid 70s, and very interesting in the way of the NYJO type LPs...
        Last edited by wayne; 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM.
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Just to make a slight correction the LP I have is 'Bristol Fashion Live In London' with a drawing of some naked ladies with their bristols out. fnar!! My copy is signed and very warped since I left it by the fire.

The other 'Bristol Fashion' isn't live but does have 'Slood Mood' on it. I've not heard that version though. In fact I'd never even seen that version until I found a copy today. How bizarre. A little pricey at £7.50 so it got left behind. I probably should have bugged the guy for a listen though. Maybe the next time I'm in the shop. I'm interested to know how the two compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
            Just to make a slight correction the LP I have is 'Bristol Fashion Live In London' with a drawing of some naked ladies with their bristols out. fnar!! My copy is signed and very warped since I left it by the fire.

The other 'Bristol Fashion' isn't live but does have 'Slood Mood' on it. I've not heard that version though. In fact I'd never even seen that version until I found a copy today. How bizarre. A little pricey at £7.50 so it got left behind. I probably should have bugged the guy for a listen though. Maybe the next time I'm in the shop. I'm interested to know how the two compare.
            I think they're the same - the later one (on Decca Eclipse?) is a reissue of the one with the cartoon sleeve. Live in London at their 21st anniversary concert. And 'Slood Mood' is indeed the track - the one on 'Current AC' is called 'fuse Blues', by the way, so maybe look for the rhyming tracks...

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
              Think I'd have remembered seeing that one, so no luck there...The 'Current AC' rings a bell, though - is it a kind of graphic sleeve with the title in zig-zag (maybe blue?) lettering on a white or yellow background? Or am I remembering it all wrong...maybe mixing it up with a completely different LP?

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                I think they're the same - the later one (on Decca Eclipse?) is a reissue of the one with the cartoon sleeve. Live in London at their 21st anniversary concert. And 'Slood Mood' is indeed the track - the one on 'Current AC' is called 'fuse Blues', by the way, so maybe look for the rhyming tracks...
                Cheers John. I did wonder about that as my one is 1970 and the Decca one is 1975. Having watched all those Jazz Britannia programs I'm finding I'm increasingly fascinated by these British jazz guys. Now if I can just find 'The Hipster' 45.

Comment

here you go...actually 'Blue Funk' has a great version of 'Mercy Mercy Mercy' on it as well, so is probably worth picking up if you see it cheap. It's the one (out of these three) that I've seen the most often - and 'Current AC' definitely seems to be the least common.

Comment

I know where there's a copy of 'Current AC' actually. It'll probably be gone by the time I get back there. Do you know of a studio version of 'Slood Mood', John? Or anyone else?

Comment

Well, went back to the fair and picked up a couple of these on Saturday, the two purchased being 'Current AC' on Joy and the Decca Eclipse issue of 'Bristol Fashion'. Very nice LPs - I'd definitely add a track called 'Dr Caligari' on the 'Current AC' set to the tracks already recommended. Superb moody slow-burning jazz with nice drums... Both worthwhile LPs, though, so cheers for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                        On my copy of Current AC the labels are on the wrong sides, wonder if this is the same on all the copies (budget label after all) - so think the top track is Dr Caligari not Fuse Blues...

Comment

Working...
                        X