Collector's Item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collector's Item

Are there any records with 'Collector's Item' printed or stickered on it that is in fact a collector's item?

Let's say collector's item means it's worth more on the second hand market than it was originally sold for.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

A good question. Can't think of any off hand but I would guess any would be pre 2000. Personally, unless its got something on it I need/haven't heard then I stay clear of any thing labelled "collectors edition".
    Its like the old "Numbered Limited Edition" which sometimes was as high as 10,000. Since when has 10,000 been limited?

Comment

I read those to mean they are for collectors rather than the casual buyer, not that they will be worth money in time.

Comment

Originally posted by RhubarbRhubarb View Post
        I read those to mean they are for collectors rather than the casual buyer, not that they will be worth money in time.
        good point.

>very quiet fast voice on< Your investment may go down as well as up >very quiet fast voice off<
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by korova View Post
          A good question. Can't think of any off hand but I would guess any would be pre 2000. Personally, unless its got something on it I need/haven't heard then I stay clear of any thing labelled "collectors edition".
          Its like the old "Numbered Limited Edition" which sometimes was as high as 10,000. Since when has 10,000 been limited?
          If you pressed 10,000 of a Beatles title world wide then wait 20 years I suppose 10,000 might then become ltd or classed as ltd?

Also back in the 70,s when music sales were huge you 10,000 ltd version soon disappeared from the shops.
          I do agree with you though to me 10,000 is not what I would class as ltd, on the northern soul scene if there are a few hundred copies of a single it is not really classed as ltd or rare.

Comment

There must be loads of numbered limited editions that are worth money... Or does the record specifically need to say "Collectors Item" on it?

I'll tell you what I do like - those Television 12"s in the die-cut "Special Limited Edition" sleeves. What were they limited to?
            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

No no, it doesn't have to have collector's item written on it. But it does have to have been marketed in some way as collectable so numbered limited editions count. If anyone has any examples of such that is genuinely collectable, would be interested to see.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

The John Kay & The Sparrow LP (Columbia 1969) has Collectors Item printed on the front.
                It was designed to cash-in on Steppenwolf's success, offering previous band recordings from 1967.
                A clean copy will get at least 15 quid, so I think it qualifies.
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I saw one of these today:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/446065?ev=rb

Exclusive 12" Collector's item!
                  some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

The Limited Edition box sets of Beatles albums produced by HMV will count. Each album was on CD in an LP sized box and came with booklets, posters and badges. Produced, I think, in the early 90's they were about fifteen quid each and make approx thirty five now.

Comment

Working...
                    X