KALLAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KALLAX

I'm about to load my collection onto several recently-assembled examples of this lovely new IKEA product. Have any other members moved from Expedit to Kallax, and do you have any advice before I start? For example, should they be fixed to the wall? Any tips appreciated!
    Must grade overall visually at least as Good minus!!! (graded STRICTLY to the UK RRPG standards, not overgraded AT ALL!!!)

Originally posted by glengowla View Post
    I'm about to load my collection onto several recently-assembled examples of this lovely new IKEA product. Have any other members moved from Expedit to Kallax, and do you have any advice before I start? For example, should they be fixed to the wall? Any tips appreciated!
    Looks just like the Expedit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...885/#/80275887

Mine (expedits) aren't fixed to the wall, just an even flooring. I can't recall that the expedits came with brackets for the purpose of fixing them to the wall?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I moved house yesterday, and moving the Expidit was a task in itself. Not made for Moving
      sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Unless they fit snugly in an alcove, I'd definitely fix them to the wall, especially the 5x5.
        I havent tried Kallax yet but I'd be surprised if they did not include with the same fixing bracket supplied with Expedit.
        Last edited by Milesago; 27-08-2014, 01:32 PM. Reason: inability to type properly
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Explanation of differences / similarities:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca.../tools/kallax/
          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

They appear to have dropped the 5x5.

IKEA claim the Kallax is as strong as the Expedit, i.e. that it can bear 13kg per shelf,
            which works out at 40 LPs x 325 grams each.

I'm sure I've closer to double that on almost every shelf.

Comment

The Expedit units DID come with a wall attachment - but to be honest I've never bothered, figuring that if you have a rawl plug in the wall and the unit toppled over, all it's going to do is pull a huge chunk out your wall. With the weights involved, I wouldn't risk it - just make sure the floor's flat. I'm starting to wonder if the wee bits of cardboard I put under the corners of mine to keep it horizontal are the right things...

Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

It's about reaching the tipping point. An Expedit is unlikely to fall face forward, away from the wall, and if it did a couple of wall brackets wouldn't help much. But the Expedit doesn't have that much lateral strength, meaning it wouldn't survive a push to the side once it gained momentum (didn't someone once post about pushing one on wheels which collapse en route?) A couple of wall brackets are morely like to prevent it from collapsing in this way.

How they scoffed, but I always knew that one day 4 years of engineering would find a practical application in the real world.

Comment

They are lighter and thinner. Be careful when kocking the shelves together, the wooden dowels can go straight through.

I always tie mine in, but that's in case the kids climb them
                  Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

I only have a 2x2 Kallax, but based on the material I would definitely provide some lateral support if you plan to fill a 4x4 with vinyl.
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

My good lady wife has just purchased two 5x5 Kallaxs for me. This is very kind of her - but I wish she had consulted me first.... as I would have done some research first.
                      I've just read through some verdicts on the Expedit replacement and now I'm a bit worried about loading the whole thing up with vinyl.
                      I'm thinking that securing them to the wall will be a must .... and I'm also considering only partially filling them.... i.e maybe just the 20 lower compartments and putting something lighter in the top 5.
                      Has anyone experience of filling a 5x5 Kallax? Any advice...... would be greatly appreciated cheers.
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

I've got a four by four and a four by two kallax, fully loaded - perfectly happy with both of them. They replaced some steel shelves from International Displays and obviously my house now looks a bit less like a warehouse. Neither are fixed to the wall but they're on wooden floors and against walls so I'm confident in them. The two by four is stood upright with the top shelf divider removed so I can put my turntable there - again no issues with stability. The shelves haven't bowed or anything. Every Billy bookcase I've had has fallen apart to some extent, none of my expedits or kallax's have.

I wonder whether kallax could be used as a unit of record collecting - your madness calculated on the kallax scale.

Comment

I have a 4 x4 packed to the rafters and a 2 X 4 mostly filled sitting on top of it making you've guessed it a 6 high by 4 wide.
                          It's up against a wall in a corner hasn't collapsed on me yet

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post

I wonder whether kallax could be used as a unit of record collecting - your madness calculated on the kallax scale.
                            We have discussed this before around the Expedit: http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...195#post507195

Comment

Thanks Skip and Jay.... sounds like my worries are unwarranted.
                              I got a bit concerned when Ikea said that they supported 'up to 13kg' per shelf. I thought - well that's only about 40 albums. You can get 90 on a shelf.
                              Anyway - thanks.
                              galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Working...
                              X