Everyone good hero needs a theme tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone good hero needs a theme tune

Ever since I've been Djing (strictly parties and nights in bars etc.)
    there is a tune that i play *every* time (i think).
    my friends all recognise it and laugh when i put it on as it signals the transition from slower funkier stuff to the crazier drummy stuff.
    i've never heard anyone else play it and until it was recently reissued i hadn't seen another copy (granted, i hadn't looked too hard).

the tune is Salsoul 3001 by the salsoul orchestra. (b/side of Nice N Naasty)
    now if you don't know it it starts off with the sound of a plane taking off, getting louder and louder. then some monkeys start screaming and at the climax some congas start and then it drops into a pounding disco beat. it continues with a rhodesy groovy solo and climaxes with the familiar Also Sprach Zarathustra business mixed with a Fanfare for the Common Man thing.

now, is it well known?

and what, if any, are other people's signature tunes?
    Last edited by Nico Gomez; 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM.

Salsoul 3001 is well known to collectors of disco. Salsoul is considered to be one of the best labels for this style of music, first commercially released 12" single was on Salsoul in 1976.
    Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

My theme is Al Wilson's 'The Snake'...after playing it one evening and getting swarmed by unexpected dancers running to the dancefloor. Wowzer!
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I've been known to occasionally sneak the odd tune from 'Hair' in (usually 'Let The Sunshine In'). Or 'Daydream', early on. Not that I'm a DJ, mind.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I wouldn't say I've got a specific theme tune, but I do like to squeeze in a cover version of 'Hard to handle' somewhere along the line.

Got plenty of versions too. .

Comment

I used to open up with 'Doin´It' by the Virtues. And dry ice, if I could get it. It was all downhill afterwards...
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Tunes I allways end up playing are

Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones
              Lonley One - Tom Jones
              Call me Mr Tibbs - Ray McVay

I used to play either Ananda Shankars Dancing Drums/Streets of Calcutta every time for about the last 10 years, but now it only gets a 50% airing!
              My Mixcloud

Comment

I do a hospital radio show where I occasionally throw in a vulture-friendly track when I think no-one's listening (which is most of the time, to be honest!) I use Percy Faith's 'Bim Bam Boom' as a theme tune (good, old skool showbiz stuff!), and sometimes Jean Jacques Perrey's 'The Little Ships'.

'Love Loves To Love Love' by Lulu and Shirley Bassey's version of 'Spinning Wheel' get rather more spins than you might expect too......

Comment

'It Was A Very Good Year' by Della Reese and 'DapWalk' by Ernie And The Top Notes are favourites at theProgram.
                  records - one a week mixcloud
                  records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky Chris

I used to play either Ananda Shankars Dancing Drums/Streets of Calcutta every time for about the last 10 years, but now it only gets a 50% airing!
                    yep, me too

although, as i've only ever had them on some whitelabel bootleg i got in Soul Jazz i still don't know exactly which is which of those tunes

they are up there with Theme Di Yoyo and Xibaba as the tunes that changed my life (trying not to overstate it)

Comment

Originally posted by Nico Gomez
                      yep, me too

although, as i've only ever had them on some whitelabel bootleg i got in Soul Jazz i still don't know exactly which is which of those tunes
                      they are both on Blue Juice vol 1, which is a great comp. also i think there are sound clips up on Chris's site.

the '...and his Music' was going to get a reissue (it's on EMI India after all) but never saw the light (although i think there may have been a boot?). shame...

Comment

Originally posted by Nico Gomez
                        yep, me too

they are up there with Theme Di Yoyo and Xibaba as the tunes that changed my life (trying not to overstate it)
                        I have them three times I think, on the white label same as you, on the reissue LP and on a Blue note comp and I still get confised between the two!
                        My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
                          the '...and his Music' was going to get a reissue (it's on EMI India after all) but never saw the light (although i think there may have been a boot?). shame...
                          I picked up a pretty good quality reissue in Rough Trade a few years back, it was either a reissue of a very good boot from an absolutly mint copy?
                          My Mixcloud

Comment

The Mohawks - The Champ - every single time......sometimes twice
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Depends but usually includes

Neu - Hallogallo and often ends with
                              Sheila - Et Ne La Remane Pas (just for yuks)
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X