X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiftless When Idle
    replied
    Originally posted by nosoul
    i always play a slow song at the beginning and at the end of me sets..for months it was arethas..one step ahead the mosdef sample now its..rupert the bear i can fly tune ,such choonz deserve 2 spins n fuck the punters
    My all time greatest end of the night tune EVER (No biting please) is the brilliant "Bring the Curtain Down" by William Bell....

The lyrics are perfect.....Stop....Stop the music...i just can't go on....
    The tempo is perfect....it's a mid tempo ballad....
    and EVERY time i play it someone always asks who it's by

You lot can all thank me for it when you get it

Remember though,you can only play it last song of the night and you heard it from me first

Leave a comment:

• Nico Gomez
    replied
    he was a good guy,
    one of the most relentlessly upbeat blokes i've ever met.
    i bought some great records off him.

and many shit ones, it has to be said.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Ah yes, I know it well - still there, but under new management. As far as I know the Guildford one's still going, and I endure a fair bit of good-natured mockery from Ben himself about the stuff I buy!

Leave a comment:

• Nico Gomez
    replied
    in Ben's Collectors Records. not sure if he is still there, it was over ten years ago. i remember that he had a shop in guildford for a while too more recently.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by Nico Gomez
    i remember buying the dodgy looking album Brazilian Heatwave in Farnham for a couple of quid, not knowing the names of the tunes then thanking the lord when i got it home and realised that the one i really wanted was Xibaba.
    Oh, whereabouts in Farnham? That's one of my regular haunts!

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    [QUOTE

not heard the duke pearson version.[/QUOTE]

It's on 'I Don't Care Who Knows it' with 'Lamento'. I'm at work so I cant remember if this is on the vinyl, or the CD reissuewhich features some extra tracks. Whatever, it's a great warm and funky lp, like most of Duke's stuff

Leave a comment:

• deeno
    replied
    i'm either playing jimi hendrix or a jimi hendrix cover version in every set!!!
    it's sometimes hard to decide the right time of playing this but i have to do that even when i'm playing an stricly electro set!!!

Leave a comment:

• Nico Gomez
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart
    which Xibaba are you talking about? Airto, which I know and love, or Santana, which I havent got round to yet? I think Duke Pearson did a version too...
    yep, the Airto one.
    i remember buying the dodgy looking album Brazilian Heatwave in Farnham for a couple of quid, not knowing the names of the tunes then thanking the lord when i got it home and realised that the one i really wanted was Xibaba.

Santana did a version on Lotus the live album which is pretty good. but not in the same league. i seem to remember there is a HUGE drum solo track on that album. was it michael shrieve? i can't remember. but that dude must have sold his soul somewhere along the way. i still love watching the soul sacrifice bit on Woodstock for his solo.

not heard the duke pearson version.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by Nico Gomez

they are up there with Theme Di Yoyo and Xibaba as the tunes that changed my life (trying not to overstate it)
    Im always up for a life changing tune, so which Xibaba are you talking about? Airto, which I know and love, or Santana, which I havent got round to yet? I think Duke Pearson did a version too...

Leave a comment:

• nosoul
    replied
    i always play a slow song at the beginning and at the end of me sets..for months it was arethas..one step ahead the mosdef sample now its..rupert the bear i can fly tune ,such choonz deserve 2 spins n fuck the punters

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    I probably play Nico Gomez - Lupita in every set. And also possiby 'I got you' off the soul cure lp!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by formigo
    Funk Factory - La Vie Na Rien Non Plus

...or whatever the hell it's called..
    'Rien Ne Va Plus' (as you didn't need telling ),

Yours,

The board pedant.

Leave a comment:

• formigo
    replied
    Funk Factory - La Vie Na Rien Non Plus

...or whatever the hell it's called..

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Depends but usually includes

Neu - Hallogallo and often ends with
    Sheila - Et Ne La Remane Pas (just for yuks)

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    The Mohawks - The Champ - every single time......sometimes twice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X