Sorting out the collection, Part 74

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting out the collection, Part 74

ive had this week off, i was meant to be sorting things out at home.
    ive mainly just moved records around the house and now 3 days later it all looks the same as it was.

anyone else have the problem of having records for sampling that you dont want in the main collection? or even spoken records that possibly will be sampled at some point? records of news reports from 1969? moon landings on 7"? beat up deep purple ogs?
    i mean what am i mean to do with them? i love records, i was meant to be going to London record shopping today but i thought it might be best to sort the records i do have out first
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
    ive mainly just moved records around the house and now 3 days later it all looks the same as it was.

anyone else have the problem of having records for sampling that you dont want in the main collection? or even spoken records that possibly will be sampled at some point? records of news reports from 1969? moon landings on 7"? beat up deep purple ogs?
    That sounds pretty much like my collection except I also have a massive pile of stuff ive not decided if im keeping or not. Some of my "in pile" goes back 4 or 5 years....
    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

haha yeah, i have a crate in the corner, about 100 records that are meant to be sorted, but im not sure if they are going or staying. though the crates been there years
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post

i mean what am i mean to do with them? i love records, i was meant to be going to London record shopping today but i thought it might be best to sort the records i do have out first
        Exactly the same problem here. I don't buy records for sampling but I cannot resist buying records that are cheap. The dark spectre of a much needed sort out has been hanging over me for some weeks now, and in that time I have accquired a few more piles of the black stuff. I made two contacts with records from a car boot last week that I could phone but also feel I have that need to sort out what I have already.

The catalyst for a sort out is usually a cutting comment from my wife as the latest pile of records to encroach on the dining room floor space is one too many. Of course the sort out, when it happens, usually results in me just playing a few records (sometimes ones i had forgotten I had bought) and, like you, simply moving them around a bit.

It's the same old story - I know I should purge, I struggle with the thought of giving records away, but at the same time am too lazy to organise anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

The catalyst for a sort out is usually a cutting comment from my wife as the latest pile of records to encroach on the dining room floor space is one too many

The answer, naturally, is more shelving.
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post

The answer, naturally, is build another wing .
            Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post

The answer, naturally, is give them to us.
              Fixed
              "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                Fixed
                Don't you mean "give them to a charity shop"?
                https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                  Don't you mean "give them to a charity shop"?
                  Think of the record karma if you gave away your entire out pile in the Gratis thread
                  You'd be finding gems in unlikely places for years to come
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again; we should have a VG+ record fair!

Mind you it will probably backfire and I'll end up coming back with more records than I took.
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

if you ever want to sort out your collection DO NOT put any records in storage because you'll never get around to doing it. believe me...

personally, i blame the missus. due to a house move 2 years ago i was told that a spare room should be just that, ie. a spare room...with a bed.

apparently, it is not a space to store records. who knew?
                      "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

Finish work early on a Friday - weather was naff - I know I can dedicate a good stretch of time to some serious sorting out. It started well but was then scuppered by a Scrabble and Bananagrams session with wife and son! I'm worn out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post

Mind you it will probably backfire and I'll end up coming back with more records than I took.

Great idea. Do it over a weekend at some faded seaside town.

Sits back and waits for someone else to sort it out.
                          record licker

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                            Think of the record karma if you gave away your entire out pile in the Gratis thread
                            You'd be finding gems in unlikely places for years to come

That's a very intriguing idea.
                            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post

Definately... this is the future. Fellow board member's outpiles have been the most fruitful digging spots for me in recent times... anyone thinking of selling at Leeds Northern Brillo in Oct? I might but it could be too soon after coming back off the road for me...
                              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                              X