Chocks Away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocks Away!

Picked up a couple of Band of the Royal Air Force LPs yesterday, one was 'Red Arrows' and the other was 'Pathfinders'.

Now, before anyone alleges that I'm a militaria nut-job, I must refute that. I only grabbed these because they'd got such geezers as Don Lusher and Alf Bigden on the credits, so I thought I'd give them a go.

Knowing my luck, they're probably ones that Wayne donated to charity / released back into the wild. Can anyone do me a kindness and either encourage me to listen or deter me from wasting my time?! Time is in short supply at the moment and if these fellas are destined to go back from whence they came, I'd appreciate the cutting out of the middle-man!! Info always appreciated (and I know Thames will have some knowledge!!!!!).

On a related note, I don't see it as a waste of money when buying ultimately pish LPs from charities these days. Way I'm philosophically looking at it is that I should be giving to charity anyway, so if I get something in exchange that's a bonus. No matter what happens, I've done something positive with a bit of my money. It's a win/win situation when you take that view and makes 'punting' a lot easier.

Thankyou muchly.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo
    Picked up a couple of Band of the Royal Air Force LPs yesterday, one was 'Red Arrows' and the other was 'Pathfinders'.
    Ben - I have to admit I've been outbid on 'Red Arrows' on the bay (don't get too excited, I think my max was £1.99) - someone tipped me the wink that there was some goodness on it. Not aware of the 'Pathfinders' one though.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Don't know either of them, but if you don't like them I'll buy them off you!

Actually, I've heard good things about the Pathfinders LP, but more than that I can't say....though I'm interested in anything on the Invicta label, and I love the theme tune to The Pathfinders anyway!

Speaking of the RAF, got one of their LPs recently where they cover the theme from The Sweeney - not too shabby, actually!

Comment

I have an album by ‘The band of the royal air force Germany’ its called ‘hits around Europe’.
        It caught my eye as it has a cover of ‘T.S.O.P’ which while not a favorite of mine I still thought the album warranted further investigation.
        And its all about the track ’Pop Fugue’ which starts of with a drum break and then goes all epic/dramtic on us, sound something you would expect to find a library rather than an RAF record.
        Well worth picking up.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that both these have been sitting in a local charity since it opened, I presumed it was marching band music or something similar... I'm curious now, will go and pick them up today. (knowing my luck they'll just have been sold when I get there!)
          www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

I've got that Red Arrows one at home somewhere - bought for Alf Bigden on the sleeve - but I can't recall anything much on it of any note. I'll dig it out tonight and re-check, I've made mistakes before missing something amazing on a first listen.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Not sure if this info is 100% right as I don't have the albums in front of me ( I'm at work, Shhh! ) but as far as marching bands go...

I do have an red arrows album, it's got a version of Black magic woman on it that is worth hearing...

There is a Scottish marching band album with versions of T.V. Theme tunes... Mision impossible, on Lismor label if I remember rightly

I have a marching band album of Abba covers, details escape me

Look out for The band of the black watch, as one of there albums has a Great version of soul finger on it...

But the one to look for is the Martin Coulter marching band lots of great tunes but (for me at least) its the version of satisfaction that gets me everytime...there are a couple of others to, if anyone wants me to post them let me know, i'll have to look them out...

Respect
              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I think I've got most of the ones you mention, actually someblokecalledfuz!

Is the Black Watch one with Soul Finger on it 'Swings Into The 70s'? That's the one with the cover of the Younger's Tartan flexi 'Meet Up Here' on it, and it's surprisingly good! Guess what, I've got a spare one.....!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                  Is the Black Watch one with Soul Finger on it 'Swings Into The 70s'? That's the one with the cover of the Younger's Tartan flexi 'Meet Up Here' on it, and it's surprisingly good! Guess what, I've got a spare one.....!
                  I don't think were talking about the same record... but maybe the same tune, mine has a silhouette of a piper on a beach on the cover and is definately not a flexi, and almost certainly not called 'swings into the 70's'...
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo
                    Knowing my luck, they're probably ones that Wayne donated to charity / released back into the wild.
                    Not been across my turntable yet, so your luck might be in...

Uhm, that came out more 'as the bishop said to the actress' than I'd intended...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
                      I don't think were talking about the same record... but maybe the same tune, mine has a silhouette of a piper on a beach on the cover and is definately not a flexi, and almost certainly not called 'swings into the 70's'...
                      Ah, probably a different record then, I can't remember whether Soul Finger's on the one I've got (the one I'm on about's a proper LP by the way, though the Younger's Tartan tune came out on a flexi originally). Either way, it seems the Black Watch had some rather interesting musical direction!

Comment

The Band Of The Royal Air Force Regiment 'The Red Arrows' (Invicta, 1972)

Now then...The Red Arrows indeed! Surely to God he can't be serious this time, there cannot be anything of any merit at all on a record made by some terrible military marching band??? G'wan then, explain yourself. Well, first box of the day at a fairly parky booter, I was somehow drawn to this particular album...there was just something about it that made me stop for a second and investigate further even though I was pretty sure that I must have seen it around before and just flicked straight by. This time I had a quick read of the sleevenotes (penned by the one and only Geoff Love dontchaknow) and noticed that the supporting cast of this record included such names as Pete Winslow,

Frank Clarke, Ike Isaacs and Alf Bigden...hmmm, 50p you say? Worth a gamble! When I got the thing home I did wonder at my judgment, skipping past heaps of really duff military nonsense on side one, but as I flipped it onto side two a sizable smirk started playing across my lips as they launched into a really rather excellent and cheesily funky bash at 'Black Magic Woman' that sounded like an outtake from one of the Mandingo LP's...You beauty!!!!! They ain't never gonna swallow this one!!!

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/pages/barons_bag_1104.htm

Comment

That Band of the black watch album is called 'Spirit of the isles'...

The abba one is the Band of royal corps of Transport and contains all the 'classics'...

The Lismor T.v tunes is called 'Out of the box' (geddit?) and has a version of the Avengers aswell.

Concertband of Her majesty's Lifeguards, in concert... versions of Peter Gunn, Ob la di ob la da, Good bad + Ugly, the stripper...

Another cracker is the Band of the royal Dutch Air force, which cotains a herb alpert medley, mambo jambo, Baby elephants walk, apache...

Also an album to pass on should you be tempted... Brass Aria by Royal Doulton Band - Version of the Jaws Theme tune that isn't anywhere near what you want it to be...

Respect
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                          X