A Hairy Happening - music is love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hairy Happening - music is love.

Just to get this on the main board for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and fancies the schlep.

Tonight, ladeez and genulman, is this .........

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3788

See you connoisseurs down t'bunker.

so many good nights on at the social over the years,
    shame it's such an uncomfortable place.

weird shape, not big enough and always seems to be a wee bit too loud.
    particularly early on.

Comment

Wish i was anywhere near London

definately my cup of tea....i've been running a similar night of my own for about a year...after collecting the stuff for the last ten...(can't get enough of the stuff)

If you send me an address i'll send you some of our handmade handprinted posters which'll probably be your bag...

The nights called YaDig?(1967-1976) and is basically a night of FunkRock...CountryFunk...and some of the trippy end of Folk...

It's such a great excuse to play this stuff and it's ALWAYS rammed...let me know when your next one is and a few of us will try and make the trip to the big smoke.....

My current hot 5 is as follow:

SWALLOW - Why am i Treated so Bad
      SIREN - Wake up my Children
      JERRY LEE LEWIS - Just Dropped in
      RY COODER - I'm a Fool for a Cigarette/Feelin' Good
      LARRY NORMAN - Sweet Sweet song of Salvation

Just did a pirate show of stuff last week that i might get posted up if i can get someone technical minded enough to help me with...(currently the only reason i can get access to the web is through the help of the computer at work and my girlfriends laptop)

Hope it went well as i'm sure it did if your playlist was anything to go by

Keep on keeping on my friend.....
      Country be dyin like poor people do
      Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle

The nights called YaDig?(1967-1976) and is basically a night of FunkRock...CountryFunk...and some of the trippy end of Folk...

It's such a great excuse to play this stuff and it's ALWAYS rammed...
        this sounds great, where is it?

Comment

Just did a pirate show of stuff last week that i might get posted up if i can get someone technical minded enough to help me with...(currently the only reason i can get access to the web is through the help of the computer at work and my girlfriends laptop)
          Assuming you have it encoded into mp3 form already then you can use You Send It. Just post the You Send It URL on the board and people can download it.

Comment

That's unhygienic Bill, don't put it in your mouth.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Thank you Blighty....i should be getting a copy on cd given to me this week so i'll try and get it up....(it's all a bit nudge nudge wink wink with pirates you know)

The next YaDig(1967-1976) will be in the good city of Leeds....at a place called the North Bar....8 till 2....(it's one of those pubs with every fine ale and liquor in the world ever) ...i'll post you guys the next date which should be in April sometime...

Comment

Wish i was anywhere near London

definately my cup of tea....i've been running a similar night of my own for about a year...after collecting the stuff for the last ten...(can't get enough of the stuff)

If you send me an address i'll send you some of our handmade handprinted posters which'll probably be your bag...

It's such a great excuse to play this stuff and it's ALWAYS rammed...let me know when your next one is and a few of us will try and make the trip to the big smoke.....

Hope it went well as i'm sure it did if your playlist was anything to go by

Keep on keeping on my friend.....
                Eeee, sounds like I should make the trip to one of your nights........the Swallow rekkid was in my box on Tuesday night, splendid track that if anything needs a little slowing down. And we had attendance from as far a field as Cambridge on Tuesday. Noicely.

Lemme know when the next one is and where I've got to get to - if I can make it, then it's game on!

Comment

Does the record Melon by Sweetwater fit into this sort of sound / line up ? If so it's right up my street as well...

Respect
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Yeah The Melon Lp fits (well at least some of the tracks do)...I think it would be your cup of tea for sure...i'll keep you lot posted when the next one is due and give you the details....it's free in too (none of that paying malarky)

Talking of Sweetwater...does anyone know what their version of Compared to What is like?I think it might be on the second album...It's called "Just for You" i think...

I'd be interested in getting a FunkRock/CountryFunk collective going to maybe get a list of DJ's and night's playing the stuff etc...times and places...so we could maybe have a bulletin...There's not a vast amount of nights up my neck of the woods but i know about some brill one's in Manchester....and i know there's one called Rockhunter in Brighton...

ANYONE GAME?

Comment

Talking of Sweetwater...does anyone know what their version of Compared to What is like?I think it might be on the second album...It's called "Just for You" i think...
                      I don't remember it as being outstanding (I like Mr Flood's Party's version better - cheers Mike) but the LP is good ('Windlace' ) and cheap. And I'm grateful to Soul Fiend for persuading me to buy it.
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                        I don't remember it as being outstanding (I like Mr Flood's Party's version better - cheers Mike) but the LP is good ('Windlace' ) and cheap. And I'm grateful to Soul Fiend for persuading me to buy it.
                        I heart their version of Compared To What. John Stapleton comped it on one of those rocky/psych things he did for Harmless. It's a brilliant version, IMO. Yer twistin' me melons, Rich!
                        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby
                          I heart their version of Compared To What. John Stapleton comped it on one of those rocky/psych things he did for Harmless. It's a brilliant version, IMO. Yer twistin' me melons, Rich!
                          I'll be giving it another listen tonight then...

Comment

I'd be interested in getting a FunkRock/CountryFunk collective going to maybe get a list of DJ's and night's playing the stuff etc...times and places...so we could maybe have a bulletin...There's not a vast amount of nights up my neck of the woods but i know about some brill one's in Manchester....and i know there's one called Rockhunter in Brighton...
                            ANYONE GAME?
                            I like the version of 'Compared to what' very much, slower than the original, but still great. I have to mention here that Eddie Harris is *THE* man, probably my favourite musician... if you haven't experienced him you need to...

I'd be interested in funkrock/countryfunk stuff, not able to DJ but, it's a groove that I love, and I'd be interested in swapping cdr's of this sort of stuff as I hope I would have some interesting stuff in this line, but 90% of the other stuff mentioned I don't know... time to dig then...

This subject has tormented me for a while, really not knowing how to pigeonhole it (although I hate that word and it's implications, you still need to somehow convey what your looking for to record dealers etc.) Is that how anyone else would describe it - 'funkrock/countryfunk', i've turned up a couple of things on ebay under the moniker 'rural psyche' not sure i'm really comfortable with that though.

Thoughts on this anyone?
                            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

As Stan Lee would say..."it's easier for the unbelievers to understand"

I kinda hate pigeon holing stuff but i know what you mean completely...it's like the Funk Rock comp on BBE...i personally wouldnt class much of it as Funk Rock by my catagory but can understand why it was by Dj Spinnas standards...it's horses for courses mate

I reckon about half the FolkFunkFlavours Boot that McBride did and the current Scorched Earth comp is in the same ball park as what i like...but i wouldnt want it to go the way of say FreakBeat where alot of heated debate and anal moaning goes on (not literally i hope)...it's hard defining anything in retrospect...or even current music (just look at the "Grime" scene)...it is what it is and i only describe stuff as funk rock cos it's i suppose...Funky rock...same with CountryFunk/Soul...it's as it sounds....

I'm gonna have a good think about this today cos i'm at work right now but i suppose one thing i'd hate is for it to become a scene.... Cos then the pointless arguments seem to overtake the whole point...the music

I'd still like to form a collective/news letter type thing though if you guys are up for it?

Comment

Working...
                              X