Charity Shop Moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Shop Moan

Yesterday i was in a local Charity and i saw a guy in the back going through loads of cds , So I left the shop and thought that i would come back later to look through the new cds . I came back about Half an Hour Later , He was now sitting next to the Till i asked him could i look at the cds he was putting out ,he then tells me that he was a customer and he was buying the cds. He Was also scanning the barcodes.He Had about 90 Cds .

I'm not sure I understand what the moan is.

I always ask at charities if they have more records 'out the back'. Sometimes they do and on occasion I turn up something good. It's all part of looking for records isn't it?
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

He was quicker off the mark than you? Is that the moan?

Comment

Always engage the staff, be polite, have a chat, smile and be cool.
        It never hurts to ask if they have records or whatever 'out the back' and they can only say yes or no.
        Don't want to make sweeping generalisations but most of the staff are 'senior' ladies who are only too happy to have a natter.
        Like Saint Jude says, I've always done this and sometimes the shop staff let you ramble through loads of stuff which can be very useful.
        And sometimes you get a 'no' for various reasons which is fine, no drama.

It's not really rocket science. Give it a whirl and see what happens. What have you got to lose?
        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Presumably he was scanning the barcodes to see what was valuable, if anything. Not a good look. People bottom-fishing in this way in charity shops is always kinda ugly and depressing. Perreti told me about a guy in our local Oxfam who grabbed a pile of reggae singles when they were put out and proceeded look each one up on Discogs. It's the antithesis of taking a punt, and a bit joyless and sad. Never mind greedy in a stupidly misdirected way - if you really want that filthy lucre, get a job in the stock exchange, don't waste your energy chiselling that extra quid out of something Oxfam have missed?
          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
            He was quicker off the mark than you? Is that the moan?
            Quicker off the mark, in the back room, with a scanner, profiteering. Justified moan. Probably said 'I'm a customer actually' in a really annoying way too.

My moan is an ebay moan - why don't the f**kin saved searches ever f**ckin work? What am I doing wrong? /end moan.
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I did encounter a guy recently who told me he was looking for 60s rock and folk, and then proceeded to excitedly phone up his mate in a shop, asking him if he "needed" the criminally overpriced Joan Armatrading albums that had been put out. He was clueless, and trying profiteer as well, but at least he was a bit excited by what he as finding.
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

CD's though. Leave him to it.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                  My moan is an ebay moan - why don't the f**kin saved searches ever f**ckin work? What am I doing wrong? /end moan.
                  Your not alone on this one, they're p*ss poor, I get the same three or four every day. I'm pleased Discogs is much better, hardly buy anything on ebay these days anyway.
                  "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

My major gripe is with an old geezer that always lifts the first four inches of every crate into his shopping cart and proceeds to a sofa to spend an hour to sort out what he wants, and THEN put back what he doesn't want. I guess the rationale is that any new stuff is at the front.

Seems to be different strategies about handling incoming records. One of the larger corporation-like charities here seems to send everything to a central sorting department. Last year they had a huge bulk sale of records in my town, probably collected from all over Sweden. £3 per record, £10 for four. Couldn't make it to opening where I heard some bargains were made. In a stroke of genius they started the sale at 10AM on a Thursday. A friend who was there said the queue was full with record dealers, both of the shop owner type and the work-shy part time ebay trader type. I found some nice stuff, but no ooofs, of course.

Many have a bulk of records in the back, putting them out enough to keep the crates filled at all time. This means that junk accumulates, and eventually fills the crates. Some realize that and make a blowout reduction, followed by a purge. Others just seem to think "Oh, records are not selling anymore".
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                      CD's though. Leave him to it.

Comment

The Mrs Says Stop Moanng about Charity Shops so its a moan , The only place to buy non chart cds with out going on line is in charity shops.Also with the shortage of decent records i look through the cds. The cds that i looked at before he snatched them back was Bowie and Pink Floyd also some DVDs .Today its the cds that he bought maybe they had no records in the back .

Comment

I suppose you've either got chazza skills or you haven´t.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

I suppose you've either got chazza skills or you haven´t.
                            Are you local?
                            eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Working...
                            X