Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo: Something

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo: Something

    Just a quick note to say to keep an eye out for an LP by Lena Horne called 'Something In The way She Sings' on Ember...picked it up today after noticing it featured Gabor Szabo on accompaniment, & arrangements by Gary McFarland, and it's a belter all through. Nice funky version of Rocky Racoon for starters, lots of the usual suspects (Something, Everybody's Talking, Fool On The Hill) and some pretty lovely slower cuts like In My Life, Night Wind etc. Never really paid attention to Horne's LPs before, but this is stellar stuff, and likely to be 50p in a charity shop near you...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

  • #2
    It's terrific stuff - I'm going to feature a track on my summer mix CD
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

    Comment


    • #3
      Is this the one with the very purple cover and art deco font?
      I think the version of Rocky Raccoon goes down on the list of lovely drum breaks with no "open" bits... I tried already!
      www.futurefunk.net/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sport casual
        Is this the one with the very purple cover and art deco font?
        Mine's got this cover, but I'd guess this is a UK budget issue (dated 1973) of a US original LP which might well have had a different sleeve...wasn't Gary McFarland involved very heavily with Skye & other US jazz labels? If I remember rightly, he was arranger on the Wendy & Bonnie LP among others...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

        Comment


        • #5
          attachment omitted...here's the sleeve...easy one to skip past, and I now wonder how many times I've done just that before looking at the back...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wayne
            Mine's got this cover, but I'd guess this is a UK budget issue (dated 1973) of a US original LP which might well have had a different sleeve...wasn't Gary McFarland involved very heavily with Skye & other US jazz labels? If I remember rightly, he was arranger on the Wendy & Bonnie LP among others...
            Yeah, Cal Tjader, McFarland and Szabo put up Skye label. Original cover was brown with Lena and Gabor text in it, there's also three other version on Buddah reissues and cd release. I also have fith cover version on my Skye reissue...



            There's an good set about Skye, Szabo and McFarland in Doug Payne's website with other cool stuff too: http://www.dougpayne.com
            Last edited by amino; 09-03-2005, 02:57 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah - Gabor and Gary rule !
              You may also want to check McFarland's earlier stuff on Verve. Excellent orchestral jazz.

              Thanks for reminding me of the Lena LP. I have it in yet another cover. Was it that popular ??
              CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

              BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

              Comment


              • #8
                Her 'Feels so good' 45 on Buddah is great too, was massive in the old Acid Jazz days

                Comment


                • #9
                  I got the version credited as Lena And Gabor and was a bit disappointed as there ain't enough Gabor for me but it is still nice stuff.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

                  John Peel

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by amino
                    Original cover was brown with Lena and Gabor text in it
                    I have this problem a lot, but I swear this is purple. Why would you have a brown sleeve when it could be purple? Come On!

                    Also happens when people tell me something is green when I think it's more of a dark turquioise.

                    Not as strange as my old boss who told me she could hear colo(u)rs (or was it see sounds?) Either way, pffffffrttt
                    www.futurefunk.net/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sport casual
                      I have this problem a lot, but I swear this is purple. Why would you have a brown sleeve when it could be purple? Come On!

                      Also happens when people tell me something is green when I think it's more of a dark turquioise.

                      Not as strange as my old boss who told me she could hear colo(u)rs (or was it see sounds?) Either way, pffffffrttt
                      Hey dude. Have you ever heard that different screens present colors in different way. It might be purple, I just tell what I see from my screen. Yeah, whatever

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As one of those covers there looks like a double 'Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo' best of on Buddah, does that mean there's more than one set out there, and if so does anyone know what the other(s) are like? The 'Feels So Good' 45 mentioned in the thread isn't on the LP I've got, for a start!

                        That said, I can only find info on the one tracklist (albeit in different orders under many titles on different labels) so maybe that double mixes in some old Szabo/Horne solo tracks with the LP I've got. I'd be interested in hearing more if they did do more than one set together, though...

                        Also, is there any Lena Horne (minus Gabor Szabo) worth checking? I see quite a few sets around, but assume they're mostly 50s radio 'personality' style singing...if there's anything to compare with 50s/early 60s Peggy Lee, June Christy, Ann Margret etc then I'd love to hear recommendations!
                        Last edited by wayne; 10-03-2005, 02:32 AM.
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i got that purple sleeve and yet another sleeve that isn't pictured here,, in the shop at 4 quid if anyone is interested thats reading from OZ...
                          nice bassline on rocky racoon though yet no ones used it right

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wayne View Post
                            Also, is there any Lena Horne (minus Gabor Szabo) worth checking? I see quite a few sets around, but assume they're mostly 50s radio 'personality' style singing...if there's anything to compare with 50s/early 60s Peggy Lee, June Christy, Ann Margret etc then I'd love to hear recommendations!
                            I just picked up a cheap UK demo of "Sand and the Sea" by her from '65. It's very Burt Bacharach sounding with the horns and backing vocals, and has a lovely northern beat ballad sound to it. Definitely one for my Xmas swap CD...

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CQVZXxfdo
                            Last edited by rainbowffolly; 27-09-2009, 08:46 PM.
                            209: Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Shit, thinks I just passed it up this week, even studied the titles, players etc. Sure like some rich modal-ish vocal jazz so will keep it in mind. Thanks for the tip.

                              Btw, Gabor Szabo is also featured as composer and player on several Chico Hamilton albums. I especially like Drum Fusion.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X