First UK breakbeat LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First UK breakbeat LP?

Anyone? My surface understanding is the mysterious (ish) Octopus breakbeat LPs appeared in the US in the early 80s followed by the Ultimate Breaks and Beats series from 1986.

Therefore the US win as breakbeat pioneers ( hurrah!) Paul Winley's break LPs followed I think? (US again!)

Does anyone here know the title/s of the first ever UK / British-produced breakbeat LPs?
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
    Therefore the US win as breakbeat pioneers ( hurrah!) Paul Winley's break LPs followed I think? (US again!)
    Correction: Paul Winley's Super Disco Brakes preceded the Octopus breaks. (US still wins)

Thank you Snoop! Simon Harris looks to be a strong contender....Morgan Khan also a contender with Break Beats Vol.1 the same year.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Thank you Snoop! Simon Harris looks to be a strong contender....Morgan Khan also a contender with Break Beats Vol.1 the same year.
      When did Norman Cook put his breaks records out? I have a feeling they were a few years later.
      Last edited by Rich Hero; 18-09-2014, 01:03 PM.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Correction: Paul Winley's Super Disco Brakes preceded the Octopus breaks. (US still wins)
        Yes, thought they were a lot earlier than '86.

Whats the distinction though? Octopus Breaks / Super Disco Brakes etc were the full length tunes for DJ's to cut up - the Harris/Khan LP's are purpose made for those LP's, DJ tools business innit. So different beasts?

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
          So different beasts?
          Then again, Louis Flores edited some of the tracks on UBB (although not in the DJ tools sense) so that blurs the line.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

not as early as the simon harris LP's but a great breaks LP on warrior records : http://www.discogs.com/artist/44584-...nknown-DJs-The

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
              Yes, thought they were a lot earlier than '86.

Whats the distinction though? Octopus Breaks / Super Disco Brakes etc were the full length tunes for DJ's to cut up - the Harris/Khan LP's are purpose made for those LP's, DJ tools business innit. So different beasts?
              Good point. Super Disco Brakes was 1979 so possibly the earliest comp of tracks used by hip hop DJs.

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
              Then again, Louis Flores edited some of the tracks on UBB (although not in the DJ tools sense) so that blurs the line.
              And another good point.

Comment

Coming up blank thinking of any UBB style comps released in the UK from that early period Ian. I did own the Simon Harris and Warrior LP's at the time (I guess they became known as DJ battle tool LP's) but not actual UBB style comps which I would have most certainly bought, well from around 1990 at least.

I did buy The Sound Of Funk comps (http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-S...elease/1299421) in 1992 but these were obviously funk comps and by default had breaks.
                "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Urban...release/542785

Maybe not strictly break related, but went beyond the rare groove thing, too. Loads of DJs were cutting and scratching with the Urban reissues.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Maybe not strictly break related, but went beyond the rare groove thing, too. Loads of DJs were cutting and scratching with the Urban reissues.
                    Thanks! I'll bet a Whosampled check reveals all those tracks were used.

Comment

Simon Harris remixes and bonus beats were all over those Urban releases, too.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I mentioned this to Nige as a contender last night, not strictly a break beat comp, but I pretty much bought it under that guise I guess!
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

likewise the "Rare!" comp series that came out the same year (1987)... though less breakbeaty and more "not very rare if you knew where to look" groove focused...

Comment

But who followed who... Eric B. and Rakim put 'I Know You Got Soul' out in '87 so, if they weren't already aware of Bobby Byrd, they would have heard it from UBB in '86 rather than Urban Classics. I take it you're making a distinction between break compilations that inspired samples as opposed to those that compiled samples that had already been used or were known?

Comment

Working...
                            X