• Show
Clear All

• Mellow jazz recommendations

Of late I can't get enough of the following recordings:

Johnny Hodges's Homage to the Duke

Duke Jordan's Flight to Denmark

Miles Davis's My Funny Valentine

John Coltrane's Ballads

I've delved deep into the spiritual jazz thing, and had a brief fling with fusion, but the four above are pretty much the only really mellow jazz recordings I have. I need more before I wear out the grooves! Any tips?

Originally posted by DirtyWater View Post
    Of late I can't get enough of the following recordings:

Johnny Hodges's Homage to the Duke

Duke Jordan's Flight to Denmark

Miles Davis's My Funny Valentine

John Coltrane's Ballads

I've delved deep into the spiritual jazz thing, and had a brief fling with fusion, but the four above are pretty much the only really mellow jazz recordings I have. I need more before I wear out the grooves! Any tips?
    Here's a couple:

and one seasonal one:

Comment

http://thejazzkid.tumblr.com

Comment

That Fruscella track is great - I'll be looking out for the LP when I'm in New York later this week.

Are the tracks above (bar the Coltrane) from LPs of a similar bent? I'm not really interested in individual tracks unless they're on 45, only LPs that maintain a similar mood and quality (and don't cost a fortune on vinyl).

Comment

think all these LPs are consistently in that vein - off the top of my head (not certain about the Art Pepper....):

- great album, see also Bobby Timmons, especially his version of Born to be Blue with Blue Mitchell on trumpet (can't find on youtube)

Boy George knew my father

Comment

only LPs that maintain a similar mood and quality
            Whole LPs you say...

Comment

Anything by Ben Webster he's as smooth as it gets:

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I've been playing the following few when I'm in the mood:

Brubeck- Plays Brubeck
                Duke Ellington- Piano In the Foreground
                Red Garland Trio- Bright and Breezy

And I could suggest any number of Bill Evans LP's but the one suggested above, 'Everybody Digs...' and 'Conversations with Myself' are a good starting point...
                Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

Plus one on the Brubeck/Bill Evans

Chet Baker?

I only have a couple of Bill Evans LP's, and this is one I think you'll like -

Stan Getz?

Picked this LP up recently which is a killer full of stuff like this (if vocal is your thing) -

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Thanks all, these are great. The Wynton Kelly Trio sounds ace, and Dexter's Ballads sounds more up my street than Go and Our Man. Never really tried Bill Evans. Love piano though and would probably like his stuff in the setting of a quartet with trumpet - I know he played with Miles; did he play with any other trumpeters? And which Chet Baker LPs should I be buying? I've always been fascinated by his story but don't own any of his albums.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Chet Baker singing I reckon.

Possibly more minimal than you had in mind and from the late seventies but these two are very much in the right vein I think. I came across Trouble in Mind a long time ago and play it a lot. Archie Shepp took everyone by surprise when he recorded these albums as they were in total contrast to the far more avant-garde stuff he'd been completely associated with up to that point - but I think that's why they work so well. And Horace Parlan's just a great piano player.

Boy George knew my father

Comment

i had a spare of "Trouble In Mind", wonder if i've still got it kicking around somewhere... will have a dig this week if anyone's interested...

Comment

Yeah these Archie Shepps are great - in fact I like pretty much everything I've encountered on the Steeplechase label. Cheers

Comment

...the Steeplechase label...
                            talking of which...

with the immortal Joe Lee Wilson on vocals.

Comment

Certainly Mellow. Jazz leanings , reminds me alot of Mos Def's Umi Says . Nice in any way/shape or (free) form

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Working...
                              X