I'm looking to buy..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to buy..

something 60's, melancholy reverby record not too dissimilar to the Dino Valente album. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

You might already know these but if not....

Mickey Newbury - Sounds Like Rain
    Tim Hardin - Suite For Susan Moore
    Bob Desper - New Sounds (1974 but could have been made any year between 65 and now!)
    www.45cat.com
    http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Thanks HC. I wasn't familar with Bob Desper, sounds cool.

Comment

Did you get the Jim Sullivan reissue on LITA? Great record. Seems infused with melancholy, especially given the story of his subsequent disappearance.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Don't know if these fit the bill for you but I like the melancholy of both:

I'm sure Jakartajive or Sie Fly could provide a long list of suitable LP's.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Part of me thinks this is a futile search as that Dino Valente LP really is in a class - and world - of its own.
            The other part of thinks that, off the top of my head, these might come close to scratching that itch:

Some great recommendations so far, btw.
            And I'm sure more will pop up in my thoughts over the coming days.
            To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

The Beau Brummells - triangle may fit the bill.
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Alexander Spence on a more demented trip - the David Crosby album ... first few Tim Buckley's ...
                Damon - song of a gypsy
                Rockwell
                Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

... and this is why I love this site. As much as I agree with jakartajive about the DV album being in a class of it's own, there are some great choices here. It's a shame some of the producers weren't as generous with the reverb as Valente. Much appreciated, feel free to keep adding.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Youth View Post
                    ... and this is why I love this site. As much as I agree with jakartajive about the DV album being in a class of it's own, there are some great choices here. It's a shame some of the producers weren't as generous with the reverb as Valente. Much appreciated, feel free to keep adding.
                    I don;t understand the recommendations that have been posted to date. You asked for "melancholy reverby" music and after I heard about 80% of the recommendations here, above, I can say that I never heard any reverb on any of them. Some sounded underground-ish but most were straight sounding, so it seems to me they did not fit the bill of what was asked. Maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing and the operative word was not "reverby", as I see it. Actually, there is only one lp that I know of that TRULEY fits the bill and is the most underground, acid folk with effects thrown in and that is the Mark Fry lp Deaming with Alice. I think it is a f**kin MONSTER and I recommend you buy it. It is in a league of its own, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
                      I don;t understand the recommendations that have been posted to date. You asked for "melancholy reverby" music and after I heard about 80% of the recommendations here, above, I can say that I never heard any reverb on any of them. .
                      Well, you probably have missed both Jim Sullivan & Chris Lucey then. Speaking of the latter, as far as I'm concerned, his subsequent album released under his real name (Jameson) would fit the bill as well.

Edit: And oh, if Mickey Newbury isn't reveby and melancholic (and brilliant) i don't know what is.
                      The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
                        I don;t understand the recommendations that have been posted to date. You asked for "melancholy reverby" music and after I heard about 80% of the recommendations here, above, I can say that I never heard any reverb on any of them. Some sounded underground-ish but most were straight sounding, so it seems to me they did not fit the bill of what was asked. Maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing and the operative word was not "reverby", as I see it. Actually, there is only one lp that I know of that TRULEY fits the bill and is the most underground, acid folk with effects thrown in and that is the Mark Fry lp Deaming with Alice. I think it is a f**kin MONSTER and I recommend you buy it. It is in a league of its own, IMO.
                        Did you start the thread?
                        No.
                        Did the bloke who did seem happy to have received some suggestions?
                        Yes.

Thank you for your input and contribution.
                        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by blue burt View Post
                          Well, you probably have missed both Jim Sullivan & Chris Lucey then. Speaking of the latter, as far as I'm concerned, his subsequent album released under his real name (Jameson) would fit the bill as well.

Edit: And oh, if Mickey Newbury isn't reveby and melancholic (and brilliant) i don't know what is.
                          OK, upon a closer listen, there is a slight instrumental reverby effect on those two but I was thinking the question referred to very obvious reverb and on the vocals too, that;s why I probably missed it.
                          I didn;t include Newbury cos I didn;t see the video on here and can;t find it on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                            Did you start the thread?
                            No.
                            Did the bloke who did seem happy to have received some suggestions?
                            Yes.

Thank you for your input and contribution.
                            What has the matter of me starting the thread or not, got to do with anything? I was simply suggesting. Why bring it up?
                            If he seemed happy, then should that preclude me from suggesting others to make him more "happy", as you put it? Why the veiled sarcasm/passive aggression? Not nice at all.

Comment

Rockwell
                              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Working...
                              X