London Charity Shopping Freaks Like Me - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Charity Shopping Freaks Like Me - Question

HOw many of you noticed a run of fake white labels that say that they are test pressings for Bathing at Baxters, Pretty Things, Who's Next. They are white labels pasted on old classical records with pretty authentic 'old type written labels'. Just wondering if you know exactly why someone would do seemingly hundredsd of these fakes and then put them out into the charity shops. I've spotted thirty in North London so far...

Originally posted by icantakeyouthroughthezone
    HOw many of you noticed a run of fake white labels that say that they are test pressings for Bathing at Baxters, Pretty Things, Who's Next. They are white labels pasted on old classical records with pretty authentic 'old type written labels'. Just wondering if you know exactly why someone would do seemingly hundredsd of these fakes and then put them out into the charity shops. I've spotted thirty in North London so far...
    weee-erd! not spotted any of these yet, but haven't ventured out from Finsbury Park for a little while

Comment

Just wondering if you know exactly why someone would do seemingly hundredsd of these fakes and then put them out into the charity shops.
      Maybe to trigger this sort of response...
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Yeah, I thought so..

But they would have to have had serious time on their heads. They should have contacted me directly and I'd drop the message on the message board. I've spotted fakes in Archyway, Crouch End and Kentish Town! I mean there is alot of these fakes...

Comment

That seems to be an amusing scam, but tell me how do you know the contents of the records are classical, were you duped into buying one ? and if so the scammer (if he is reading this) must be having a chuckle
          Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

But they would have to have had serious time on their heads. They should have contacted me directly and I'd drop the message on the message board. I've spotted fakes in Archyway, Crouch End and Kentish Town! I mean there is alot of these fakes...
            But those three places are all on the same bus route (?) so it would only take an afternoon to plant them. There may even be a central depot for the shops so they could simply have dumped one large batch then left it to the Charities to do the distribution.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy_Stardust_72
              That seems to be an amusing scam, but tell me how do you know the contents of the records are classical
              Maybe he's one of those people who can tell exactly what's on the record just by looking at it. I'm sure I remember someone on the Generation Game doing that in the 70s. Always wanted to be able to do that.

Comment

classical or not classical...

It was easy - you can read through the white label and see it was a Camden Classical Record. Just thought it was bizarre.

Comment

but at the same time

amusing. go through a pile of record, james last, james last, OH WOW - WHITE LABELS FOR THE WHO, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, THE BEATLES...james last, james last...

Comment

Maybe it's an inside job?First it's Lp Ripoffery..... What's next?The great Charity Shop Single Swindle...

I once picked up what i thought was an acetate...it buggered my needle
                    I'd have rather picked up a cold....
                    Country be dyin like poor people do
                    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Ten or so years ago a friend of mine funded his record by buying 500 7"s (assorted ones from the flea markets), pasting a properly printed label which read something like The Greatest Rock and Roll Swindle - Fake Music by the Subway Riders. As his band had kind of a following due to live concerts, he sold the 500 7"s and got the money to go into a studio. At the time he did some interviews and said that the single they were releasing was "taking sampling to an extreme". I thought it was funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Digga
                        As his band had kind of a following due to live concerts, he sold the 500 7"s and got the money to go into a studio.
                        Hmmm, but ripping off your fanbase may not be the best long term plan...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                          Hmmm, but ripping off your fanbase may not be the best long term plan...

It wasn't ripping them off. For them it was like an artsy gesture. Anyway, the band didn't survive, so maybe you're right!

Comment

But they would have to have had serious time on their heads.
                            You think the old dears in charity shops DON'T have serious amounts of time on their hands?

My guess is it's pesky art students and it's an "environmental" project - they're probably googling right now trying to find out what became of their "work" and documenting this will become the "real" piece. Think I've been hanging out with too many artists....
                            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

does the trail lead back to Highgate? Sonofstan has been quiet lately...

Comment

Working...
                              X