Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the best groups ever...Sly & The Family Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the best groups ever...Sly & The Family Stone?

Might be too obvious for some but I can't recall us ever giving much love for Sly & The Family Stone on this forum over the years.

Unbelievable vocal and instrumental performances and groundbreaking mix of styles at the time.

So much great live colour TV footage on youtube of them performing in their prime that I've spent most of today so far doing that.

Here is a 1969 live performance that puts most bands to shame.

Never been able to pick out one favourite LP, depending on my mood though Stand comes pretty close. What's the thoughts of the VG+ crowd?
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Small Talk always gets a bad press, but it´s my favourite. Warm, woozy, sickly sweet but sour

I spent an entire summer once playing the lp, and especially Can´t Strain My Brain over and over obsessively. A couple of years later I heard D'Angelo´s Voodoo lp and realising he´d probably done the same.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

always loved this one - those horns
      Last edited by SirSlim; 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Love a bit of Sly, 'Fresh' is the one that gets a regular outing round here. Although
        'Stand' and 'Riot..' are a close second/third.
        All about those yellow label Epic pressings.
        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

As you know Nige man,I'm a big fan, I love all their early LP's, not the biggest fan of 'Riot', never understand why the mojo/crust fraternity heap so much praise on it!?
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
            As you know Nige man,I'm a big fan, I love all their early LP's, not the biggest fan of 'Riot', never understand why the mojo/crust fraternity heap so much praise on it!?
            Almost certainly because of Greil Marcus´s essay on the lp in Mystery Train - which is well worth reading. I suppose it was that, after the Woodstock appearance, that sealed Sly's position as the rock fans´funk band.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

One of my favourite bands too. Stand and There's a Riot are probably my two favourites. Fresh and Small Talk don't get enough credit in my opinion. Probably because as Mr Sayers says Riot gets talked up so much in the mainstream press.

Comment

Trip to the heart .... is untouchable in my book, and got me foaming at the mouth to hear more psych soul/rock....
                sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

You caught me smiiiilin.

One of those classic acts that you have to go back and re-appreciate once in a while. Unmatched songwriting and production. The perc on Riot!

Probably Stand, Riot and Small talk for me.

Comment

My favourite single of theirs. Interlocking melodies and levels with a cheeky fairground organ. It rocks in a happy, lustful way
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I love the Jackson 5's takes on 'Stand' and 'Everybody Is A Star'.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

"rock fans´funk band."

Maybe so, certainly not a funk fan's funk band
                        http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk

http://www.fatcity.co.uk

Comment

http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I remember being blown away seeing them on the Woodstock film, probably early 80s. At that time you could only get the Greatest Hits in UK record shops, & I didn't even know 'There's a Riot..', 'Fresh', 'Small Talk' existed until years later (similar story with James Brown). It's a good reminder for me of how different access to music was back then, & how easy it is to get blase about it now.

So many great songs - two of my faves are:

Comment

Obviously in a minority, I don't really enjoy Sly. But on the other hand, Larry Graham is god.

Comment

Working...
                              X