Andy Votel on Radio 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Votel on Radio 6

Liking this, Andy Votel celebrates the uncelebrated with "Lost Ladies" rare private press etc
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lcc2g

Perfect sunday listening music! Has anyone got any of these???

Comment

Nice. Listening now.

Comment

the Lilly track 'hot and cold ' I own - sounds better than I recall
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
          the Lilly track 'hot and cold ' I own - sounds better than I recall
          "The lord is gonna spit you out of his mouth"

Comment

Yeah its crap Sie, would be happy to sort you a trade

Comment

I like how the demented "Nobody Gotta Be Home tonight" is credited to NORAH JONES!!
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Good stuff, particularly enjoyed Norah and Dorothy....I can actually add a little on Leonie and it's a bit of a cautionary tale to the would be detective...

Some of you might remember me getting all excited on here about three years ago when, following a period of almost obsessive Leonie related research (including a few conversations with Mr Votel) I found her 1979 single 'Elisabetti' / 'Y'a rien a faire avec les hommes' which had somehow escaped inclusion on any of her previous discographies. You can read the thread here;

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ghlight=leonie

Well...all went as planned...the single turned up from Germany... and it was posted on my friend Mordi Mordiki's 'Blowupdoll' blog (accompanied by a rather gushing piece of flowery prose composed by myself....) and the world rejoiced...at least for awhile....

Of course, you always hope with these things that the 'lost' artist will emerge out of the darkness, graciously accept their belated plaudits and perhaps reveal a bit more about their career. In the best case scenario, this might culminate in a scholarly reissue on Finders Keepers...

Although I can bear no witness to the actual conversation that took place, I can confirm that Leonie is indeed alive, well and quite possibly litigious...she contacted Mordi and ordered him in no uncertain terms to take the posts down...what I do know is that it left the poor fellow so shaken up that despite having run a successful blog for many years, he seriously had to consider packing it in. 'I just found her so negative and defensive', he told me. 'There was no appreciation that perhaps some people were really enthusiastic about her and it just dampened my ardor (as they say in 'carry on' circles).' Being the gentleman he is, he removed the posts and thankfully continues to blog.

So, as they say, be careful what you wish for and always bear in mind that the reason that many 'lost' artists are 'lost' is simply that they don't want to be found!

In case you're still curious, pretty much the sum total of all that is to be known about Leonie has been compiled by some young bloggers here; hope they've got a good lawyer!

http://heroculte.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/who-are-you-leonie-

lousseau/
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

I'll need to give that a read later. I don't know much about Leonie, I should've asked my partner (the resident francophile) by now. She's always giving me a telling off for nicking her copy of En Alabama then putting it back in the wrong place.
                  sigpic A Haunting Club

Comment

Norah Jones - saw that Joe !!
                    That track from Stockport was a bit nuts eh ?
                    Got to love Andy's detective work - amazing stuff - Taze ............depends on your trades - I could live without it
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                      I'll need to give that a read later. I don't know much about Leonie, I should've asked my partner (the resident francophile) by now. She's always giving me a telling off for nicking her copy of En Alabama then putting it back in the wrong place.
                      Tsk, tsk Jules....quite right too....
                      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by Taze View Post
                        Perfect sunday listening music! Has anyone got any of these???
                        I've got three of 'em: The Gelsomina 45 was on my 2010 swap (AV's copy sounds a bit better than my "well-loved one" though!). The Dorothy 45 is fantastic and has been much debated here I think - "Softness" was re-pressed on a Crippled Dick Hot Wax comp of post-punk stuff but the 45 isn't hard to track down (can be a bit pricey tho'). The Leonie 45 is a cheapie and well worth getting. I liked the Jen track. Wonder what the rest of her LP is like...?
                        Last edited by Mang; 13-10-2014, 03:17 PM.
                        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

'It's Snowing' is the best track on the 'Senti-Mental Jen' lp, the rest is a little twee...i've had that one for years, divorce-inspired suburban mediocrity, very John Shuttleworth, female version...

Comment

Working...
                          X