Alvin Stardust - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvin Stardust - RIP

Poor old Alvin. Takes me right back that does. Red 'Magnet' labels- in the days when, if you wanted a record, you'd have to wait until your birthday or hope your mum bought it.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      Poor old Alvin. Takes me right back that does. Red 'Magnet' labels- in the days when, if you wanted a record, you'd have to wait until your birthday or hope your mum bought it.
      Indeed, or as my mum also did "bribe" me to get my haircut with the promise of a new single as the reward.

Comment

You must be out of your tiny mind!

The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
          You must be out of your tiny mind!
          Yes, Alvin's road safety anthem surely had a great influence on the young teenagers who would bring about the punk revolution ....

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

I didn't know until now, reading the obituaries , the tragic story of the original 'Shane Fenton'. I knew Alvin/Bernard was Shane Fenton but had no idea he'd inherited the mantle.

Comment

Wow, wasn't aware of that myself!...a very sad tale...oddly enough, Bernard wasn't the original Alvin Stardust either - the vocal on 'My Coo Ca Choo' was done by the writer/producer Peter Shelley, who apparently had already appeared on TV performing the song before deciding he didn't want to 'be' Alvin Stardust and gave Bernard a ring....

Btw...this mural by local artists Walter Kershaw and Eric Kean adorned the gable end of a terrace in Heywood, Bury for a while in the 70s (sadly, it's long gone...)

Last edited by giantchicken; 25-10-2014, 12:05 AM.
              you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Great mural. Here's great footage of Alvin live at 'The Wheeltappers and Shunters' with a pretty decent band. Slinging his mike stand around and building to quite a head of steam beginning with the instruments except the drums dropping out at 3.50. I reckon it would have been great to be there.

Comment

Working...
                X