Coup Perdu -Sine qua non

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coup Perdu -Sine qua non

I got this through by email which I though might be of interest to people on here... I am convincing myself I can justify the cash for the Gainsbourg set.. The clips sound lovely....

"I'd like to draw your attention to two albums especially, because they were lovingly produced by my friend Glenn Armstrong. Glenn's main business is selling beautiful vinyl editions of classical music, especially of the Hungarian violinist Johanna Martzy, but Glenn is also a devotee of the work of French singer/songwriter Serge Gainsbourg, so created a subsidiary label- Coup Perdu- and engaged Gilad Atzmon's quartet, Matthew Bourne & a string quartet to play instrumental versions of Gainsbourg's songs- the project and the band is called Sine Qua Non.

The aim was to produce something unashamedly romantic but not cheesy and he's succeeded. Not entirely a jazz record but it could only have been created by jazz musicians.

It's an expensive package- two 180lps in a superb gatefold with insert- and costs GBP50.00. While stocks last we will include a single album of Gainsbourg songs played on guitar by Leonardo Lara. A cd of the double album plus some of the guitar music is available for GBP10.00.

Later Glenn heard John Aram's quintet playing John's suite: Saturday Night and Sunday Morning at Nottingham's Djanogly theatre. He was so impressed
    that he persuaded John to record the music with the addition of the late Kenny Wheeler on half the tracks- it was almost Ken's last recording.
    Another superb production- two 180gm lps in a gatefold with a stitched-in booklet of artwork. Side 4 includes two Wheeler compositions and one by
    Aram. This is on vinyl only- GBP50.00

You can read, listen and see a film here:
    http://www.coupperdu.com/"
    the monkey speaks his mind
Working...
X