Anti War Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti War Songs

No doubt this will open a can of worms, but the current Rememberance celebrations haven't been sitting well with me
    My conclusion is that they are not anti war enough for me

I can't find any period WW1 anti war songs - perhaps they were supressed.
    But I've always loved this track since I first heard it done by the Men They Couldn't Hang (I know!)

Any other favourite anti-war songs - can be any war

And a booby prize for the first person to post Edwin Starr

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

There's lots of versions of this, but June Tabor is just incredible.

Comment

Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Arthur McBride

Arthur MacBride, sorry.

Last edited by Milesago; 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM. Reason: stupidity, inability to spell simple words
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

They’re tricky aren’t they, war remembrances? I haven’t noticed a pro War agenda, or any particular flag waving, though. I think what always comes across with WW1 is the human cost especially as, unlike WW2, for example, the point of it all isn’t particularly clear cut, or rather can’t be broken down into simplistic headlines. The balance, I suppose, is in ruing how wasteful war is without demeaning those who lost their lives, legs, arms, eyes, etc. by blankly stating that their sacrifice was completely pointless.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Comment

Originally a Dylan number but I prefer this rather spaced-out, countryfied version:

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                  They’re tricky aren’t they, war remembrances? I haven’t noticed a pro War agenda, or any particular flag waving, though. I think what always comes across with WW1 is the human cost especially as, unlike WW2, for example, the point of it all isn’t particularly clear cut, or rather can’t be broken down into simplistic headlines. The balance, I suppose, is in ruing how wasteful war is without demeaning those who lost their lives, legs, arms, eyes, etc. by blankly stating that their sacrifice was completely pointless.
                  I agree, it is a difficult thing. I don't think there has been a pro War agenda but, and I may well be wrong, there is something about the WWI celebrations that seem to glorify the military - and not just the people who died. Being somehow sorry that men died or were wounded without any context about why seems to me to be a very unproductive exercise.

Whatever lessons have been learnt from that particular conflict it can't be said to have put us off going to war - at least not the current load of people in Westminster.

I guess I'm too idealistically hoping for swords into plougshears!
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                    I guess I'm too idealistically hoping for swords into plougshears!
                    Nothing wrong with that.

Here's an anti-war track. George Butterworth was shot in the head in 1916.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Any other favourite anti-war songs - can be any war
                      This.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Comment

There's a ton of Vietnam songs. I like 'POW-MIA' by the Whispers because it's so uplifting.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

War, we want war

As long as the sun shines tomorrow anyway
                            If it rains again I´m not leaving the house
                            Because I´m not going to turn up just to catch a damn cold and not be able to see my girlfriend at the weekend

War, we want war
                            More so if it's against my mother in law
                            Who doesn't like me for I don´t know what reason
                            I´m a nice guy, all things considered. Even my mum managed to love me.
                            She taught me since I was little that war was ugly and love was beautiful.

War is just a moment
                            After the war, comes forgetting.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

And a booby prize for the first person to post Edwin Starr
                              DOA

http://www.discogs.com/DOA-War-On-45/release/445947

War
                              some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Working...
                              X