Horslips, Man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horslips, Man...

Been meaning to ask this one for ages - I see LPs by The Horslips and Man all over the place, always about £3 - £4 a piece (never in 50p boxes) but have always been curious what they sound like: looks like it could be interesting prog-psych or just plodding 70s rock, but never worked out which...

Cue everyone recommending sublime masterpieces that are the only ones that never actually turn up...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Originally posted by wayne
    Been meaning to ask this one for ages - I see LPs by The Horslips and Man all over the place, always about £3 - £4 a piece (never in 50p boxes) but have always been curious what they sound like: looks like it could be interesting prog-psych or just plodding 70s rock, but never worked out which...

Cue everyone recommending sublime masterpieces that are the only ones that never actually turn up...
    Few good rockin' man tracks if i remember, not sure about horslips.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

I only know some horslips stuff and it is an Irish folk rock fusion. Not as hideous as Jethro Tull often were but not as earnestly traditional as say Fairport Convention. Happy To Meet, Sorry To Part is probably the one to go for as The Musical Priest is a total winner and there are some other great tunes.

Hmmm tempted to listen to it again now.

Man have a reputation for being "a bit weird". (Cue the usual "welsh magic mushrooms" quips) From the tracks I've heard they are more interesting than Status Quo but not a million miles away either. Weirder, sillier lyrics and longer wilder tracks. 2 Ounces of plastic with a hole in the middle is the album to go for by most accounts. Unless that description horrifies you I'd buy it in good nick for £4 anyway.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
        Been meaning to ask this one for ages - I see LPs by The Horslips and Man all over the place, always about £3 - £4 a piece (never in 50p boxes) but have always been curious what they sound like: )

Horslips Discog and Sound Clips

Man Discog and Sound Clips

ENJOY!!!!!!
        Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

The one to go for from MAN is the pink one where dudes are all naked
          and I think a groupie is going down on one of them.

With that cover is it any surprise that I have forgotten the name of said LP.

SKINNY WELSH DUDES NEKKID luckily there is a bucket of dry ice somewhere nearby

DON'T WORRY BABY IT'S BIGGER WHEN I'M NOT STANDING NEXT TO A BUCKET OF FROZEN CARBON DIOXIDE

you get the picture right...

Comment

Spot on! Check out 'Erotica' on here - produced by John Schroder dontcha know!

Originally posted by formigo
            The one to go for from MAN is the pink one where dudes are all naked
            and I think a groupie is going down on one of them.

With that cover is it any surprise that I have forgotten the name of said LP.

SKINNY WELSH DUDES NEKKID luckily there is a bucket of dry ice somewhere nearby

DON'T WORRY BABY IT'S BIGGER WHEN I'M NOT STANDING NEXT TO A BUCKET OF FROZEN CARBON DIOXIDE

you get the picture right...
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Lee my man, if you stare at your avatar pic (Vertigo label) and jiggle the mouse wheel up and down...

...well, some pretty wild shit happens.

Comment

Knew the good ones would be those that weren't seen everywhere!

2 Ounces Of Plastic (on Dawn), Revelation (the pink one) and the Horslips' Happy To Meet Sorry To Part are about the only ones on those AMG lists I've never knowingly seen out & about...but will know now if I do!

Things like 'Rhinos, Winos etc', 'Man' (the 1970 double), Horslips' The Tain etc, on the other hand, seem to be plentifully laced through every Rock box in the land as far as I can see...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

There are a few wEiRd
                  tracks on The Tain album on RCA... i picked it up cheap...one of the tracks "you can't fool the beast" is pretty good...would go well with that big greek fella's track about the beast if you get my drift.....

Early Man are great too....love the fold out cover one with the map of Wales on it.....
                  Country be dyin like poor people do
                  Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Ain't that the way of things.

The one with the fish on it is like, everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
                      Happy To Meet, Sorry To Part is probably the one to go for as The Musical Priest is a total winner and there are some other great tunes.
                      A little late on this one but what the heck, whose in a rush

I bought Happy To Meet, Sorry To Part when it came out. Nice octagon shaped cover.

Here is my favorite from the LP - 'Furniture'
                      Last edited by Stoneface; 05-04-2006, 02:46 AM.
                      "Will our children be sacraficial lambs offered up to ease the fears of the multinational corporations like so many brainwashed media zombies? Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependancy in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!" - from Flowers and Birds by Rise Robots Rise

Comment

scabies is partial to a bit of man...
                        golden hour of man is super cheapo and has quite a few good tunes so is a good place to start .also one of the ugliest band band photos evaaarrr as well.
                        https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                        https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                        https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

Working...
                        X