Francis, Day and Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis, Day and Hunter

Recently picked up a 10" FD&H album, "Sounds Of Today" which features a couple of top notch crime jazz & funky numbers by the likes of Vic Flick and Les Reed. Also some names that don't immediately click with me, B. Bryan, L. Baron, B. Barratt, B. Mason - anyone know these?

Anyway, first time I've found an FD&H, there is a list of 14 records in the back that look intriguing - Jazz Brazilia/Music For Orchestra and Voices or Syntheses/Constellation look interesting... Anyone know how big is their catalogue overall, or know which are the notable ones?

B Mason is most likely Les Reed's co-writer Barry Mason. B Barratt is probably Bob Barratt, who produced loads of LPs for EMI in the 70s.

FDH as a library go back to at least the 1940s, though I don't think they lasted much beyond the late 60s. KPM look after their 40s/50s tracks, I'm not sure about the later ones. I've only got two of the 10" LPs, one of which, 'The Music Of John Malcolm' FDH LP 1016 has some quite nice 60s style brassy tracks on it.

Comment

Thanks Lord T! Surprising no one else seems to have any... I will report back if I dig any more up.

Comment

I've done a bit of research on the library system here. We have most of the FD&H back catalogue and it looks as if Les Reed's "Man Of Action" is one of the tracks on "Sounds Of Today" along with (what I assume is) the B side of his Deram 45 "Big Drum". I am going to order 'em up and have a listen. Will report back.
        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Is there any Barry/Rhett Stoller stuff in there? I know some of his stuff that was picked up for theme tunes was published by FDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
            Is there any Barry/Rhett Stoller stuff in there? I know some of his stuff that was picked up for theme tunes was published by FDH.
            Haven't found any thus far. Quite a lot of Vic Flick and Les Reed and also a preponderance of avant garde harpsichord inflected jazz, mostly composed by "Waring". Some of it is pretty good!
            Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

I just picked up "Progressions" which is a J. Waring avant garde harpsichord inflected jazz one. Feels a bit aimless TBH.

Comment

Working...
              X