Janis Ian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janis Ian

I used to see her name as a writing credit all the time on 60s records, but only recently I picked up some of her LPs/45s and I am blown away. Why isn't she talked about or held up as the talent she clearly was/is?

I am slowly picking up her Verve LPs and 45s but I am wondering if her first LP was even released in the UK at the time. I find it hard to believe it wasn't given it had probably her most notorious song on it "Society's Child" but I can't find a reference to a UK issue of it anywhere.

Agree she's still relatively overlooked.
    Love her debut LP . . . and the flip to the debut 45 has long haunted me.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Agreed on that first LP and b-side, JJ.

I don't know about a UK release for the LP but it must have got a sizeable, later import. My copy is US but has a big seventies Virgin import sticker and a hype sticker on the shrink. I guess a pile must have been shipped in the mid-seventies when she had hits.
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

It did get a '67 UK release. Verve Folkways (s)VLP 6001. From my RRPG.
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I saw a UK copy of her first lp at Utrecht for 15 euro. Both sleeve and record were in ex. shape. I was very tempted so I could replace my US copy but decided not to, which I now regret.

Same applies to a Funkadelic Free Your Mind UK copy again in Ex. shape for 40 euro...diggers remorse!

First 3 Janis Ian LPs are great.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I'm still very surprised you didn't nab the 'Free your mind', I know it's overload at Utrecht Nige mate, but still I'm surprised!
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
              I'm still very surprised you didn't nab the 'Free your mind', I know it's overload at Utrecht Nige mate, but still I'm surprised!
              Don't remind me Craig. Looked at it from Fri to Sun but just couldn't do it. Made a conscious decision not to double up on records I already own (apart from the Chapter 3) but now I regret it.
              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
              X