"Apparently they're coming back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Apparently they're coming back"

Said one bloke to another at the farmers' market in Henley yesterday, looking at a selection of those clocks made from old LPs.
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Did you make it in to In The Groove? Or did you just buy a clock?

Comment

When Gingham Kitchen and I met in a railway pub to deliberate high level British Esperantist publishing, there was this couple by us who were reverently going through a stack of vinyl.

Recogising a potential ally, or at least a kindred spirit, I politely asked them if they'd been record shopping. They had and passed over their pile to have a look through. They were all picture discs, rock and pop and metal. Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, One Direction. Something was wrong. Nothng was clear.

'You collect picture discs?' I inquired with a fixed grin, hoping that the obvious would clarify.

'No, actually. We make vinyl clocks. It's our new business venture.'

They were a husband and wife.

'There's less than a 1,000 of those One Direction picture discs. Record Store Day.'

They'd invested a significant sum. £10, £20 each for the records. The logic was, the rarer the record, the more valuable the clock would be. Not to record collectors, of course, but to Def Leppard, One Direction and classic rock fans. They were convinced it was going to work.

I backed away to the suddenly saner world of abstract pampleteering. It's the ethos of the couple that stays with me. They were flush with a combination of entrepreneurial spirit, vinyl zeitgeist and a certain kind of eroticism, whre the talents of each member of the partnership were working together in harmony and 'in production'. A very English mercantile romance, which now haunts The British Esperantist.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

True story.

I was earwigging and pretending to look at my phone. I'm less friendly than Eine, and nowhere near as tall but, yes, it has haunted us and, I think, indirectly had an impact on sales of Issue 3, which are not great.

I'd like to attend an evening where the DJ's played ONLY vinyl that has been converted into clocks - and, if you haven't got a copy of The British Esperantist #3, why not get one, it's like three quid.
        Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 01-12-2014, 09:13 PM.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Truely these are the end times.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I have just donated a MASSIVE box of LP's and singles to my kids school as they have a Craft Fayre at the weekend
            and they needed vinyl to turn into bowls. So at some point I imagine one of them will be sitting in my bin by the end of the week.
            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
              'You collect picture discs?' I inquired with a fixed grin, hoping that the obvious would clarify.

'No, actually. We make vinyl clocks. It's our new business venture.'

'There's less than a 1,000 of those One Direction picture discs. Record Store Day.'

They'd invested a significant sum. £10, £20 each for the records. The logic was, the rarer the record, the more valuable the clock would be. Not to record collectors, of course, but to Def Leppard, One Direction and classic rock fans. They were convinced it was going to work.

I'd add a sliding wireless stylus attachment that could be attached to the hour, minute and second hands, so fans could listen to their clock records at 1, 1/12 and 1/60th RPM
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

...'No, actually. We make vinyl clocks. It's our new business venture.'

Well, at least they are not in danger of getting lung or blood cancer from making bowls when they breath in the heated and liberated PVC polymers. You don;t want to see Brits breathing in carcinogens to make goofy/cheesey items. Enough people working in South East Asian factories, do that all the time.

Comment

I often wonder how much more bloody fruit bowls and chinese-mech clocks made out of records we can stick. It's the nadir of 'craft' surely - They seem to have been around for decades, yet plebs still make them. I've not, however, ever met anyone who bought one.
                  "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

I was given both the bowl (made from some 2000+ shit house record) and the watch (another shit house record) as thoughtful presents from various roommates. It'S because I like records obviously.
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
                      Well, at least they are not in danger of getting lung or blood cancer from making bowls when they breath in the heated and liberated PVC polymers. You don;t want to see Brits breathing in carcinogens to make goofy/cheesey items. Enough people working in South East Asian factories, do that all the time.
                      To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

This picture disc would certainly be of interest to picture disc clock makers and buyers who aren´t so good at telling the time but have a grasp of roman numerals

"Get a move on, love, it´s nearly Jon Moss past VII"

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          I'd add a sliding wireless stylus attachment that could be attached to the hour, minute and second hands, so fans could listen to their clock records at 1, 1/12 and 1/60th RPM
                          Well I would buy one of these. This place should sell offical VG+ vinyl clocks and bowls to sort out the server fees and treat the mods to a Chinese every February.
                          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

There's a WHOLE shop in the (Brighton) Lanes dedicated to these now - right next to Across The Tracks, so they probably get all the free stuff he leaves in the street.

Somebody on their FB page is asking if they have Sandy Denny 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes', as it would make a good clock. Jeez louise.

Comment

This place should sell offical VG+ vinyl clocks and bowls to sort out the server fees and treat the mods to a Chinese every February.
                              Genius. I genuinely laughed out loud in the office reading this and it was quite loud as I've got headphone on listening to Autechre.
                              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X