No announcement yet.

The last song you fell in love with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last song you fell in love with...

I mean had to listen to over and over and over and over and over, just because you thought it was soooo good. That good that anything that you play after can't possibly measure up...

I've been thinking about this since reading the right honourabe Mr. Ian Townsend in the thread about 50 NME albums of the year or some such.

Originally Posted by Ian Townsend
    I have, for the past three or four years, been depressed by how few songs really 'connect' with me and can only assume that age (and deep-rooted preferences) have finally caught up with me, thus:

I still cherish verse / chorus / verse / bridge type songs
    I find too many offerings to be what I would call tracks, rather than songs
    I find too many are too fragmented, dissonant, restless (and dull)
    I like tension and release in songs, (or fervent passion) and much falls short.
    I've really, really, tried to like drone, ambient and Avant garde but very little connects.
    PINA makes me want to smash things over the musicians heads.

I don't think there's anything wrong with new music and it's fantastic it's evolving, it means the world is still spinning on its axis and the 'old is yielding place to the new' (their arrows are not your arrows etc). I just have to accept that I'm standing in a different place now and new music that genuinely thrills me will occur less and less ( and when it does it will probably be of a retro nature!)

This mirrors my views fairly accurately... I tend to focus on buying retro 60's / 70's music and I am finding fewer things that get the heart going... maybe the well is running dry on my budget, maybe I'm not "digging deep or hard enough" maybe I need to change genre, maybe it's because I'm finding less records in charities full stop... who knows, but those magical moments are further apart.

Anyway enough ramblings from me. Post up the last song you really fell for....

For me it comes from an album which I can highly recommend which was brought to my attention by Matt Shiftless on my last trip to the Leeds Northern Brillo... I mentally stowed it away in the back of my mind knowing I was bound to find it at some point, and lo and behold it happened this week...

"New burying ground" by Lonnie Donegan, from his "Sing Hallelujah".

The whole album is great (most of it is on youtube should you care to investigate), Lonnie gets spiritual and soulful and consequently a million miles away from his "King of skiffle" box that I'd pigeonholed him into...

Of course the youtube clip doesn't do it full justice... but still TUNE.

Lets hear yours...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Picked up an original mono copy of the Rainbow Ffolly LP recently (pics to follow soon in the monthly finds section) and it's a thing of beauty.
    This song I love to bits...

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Latest in a long line. Had a bit of a "moment" at Utrecht. Fellow plussers were picking up amazing tunes all around me, and I kind of knew what I was hoping to find, and in the end it found me, blasting out of a Philips UFO turntable (watch this space chaps). Probably only playing it about 3 times a day now, it's still doing it for me. Full of all the gimmicky rubbish which gets my pulse going, just over two minutes of poppy swirly magic.....to me anyway.
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

This is the one for me.
          Bought a bunch of soul 45s and this unclassifiable monster was a flip-side of a 45 by a guy I only knew for writing the original of PRETTY FLAMINGO.
          Incredible grinding psychedelic blues with distorted harmonica and blue-eyed falsetto vocals.

I had one of those moments of frenzied excitement where I thought I'd "discovered" something - only to do a quick site search and realise it's already been mentioned / spun out by many folk around here already!

All roads keep on leading on back.

Still, remarkable piece of music.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Gotta be "Dayzed Inn Daydreams" from the new Ariel Pink opus. Beautiful tune and just the right amount of almost unbearable melancholy. Love it unconditionally.
            Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

A new one from me. As of this morning! I put this mixtape on my iPod last night, mistakenly set it to shuffle, and this came up and blew my mind. I played it 5 times back to back and it moves me to tears. It helps if you know some of Boosie's back story. He's from Baton Rouge, Louisana, and has just been released from prison after serving five years for possession (of weed). While inside, he was prosecuted for first degree murder, a charge he beat. Part of the reason he attracted the attention of state prosecutors was his music. Most of the prosecution rested on a confession that was later retracted and the case stunk to high heaven - the American justice system being what it is, it's amazing that he's out, rather than facing the death penalty. Here's a story about the case. I think I've heard "Free Boosie" shouted out on every mixtape I've heard over the last few years, so it's amazing to hear him here, pumping that experience directly into his music. And not only that, delivering a message of solidarity.

"As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I completely understand what Fuzz means about old music.
                The music I listen to for myself is exclusively old - and in the main new music only comes via the radio or my kids

I was about to post something on a jazz tip but then I remembered the incredible experience of having this song pop up on my ipod during a journey home on the tube. I wouldn't say I had a flash back but I was definately tingling all over and had a grin plastered over my face. It was on repeat until I got to my front door.
                Maybe not everyones cup of cha but it takes me back to a time and place and a very good feeling (but only very sketchy memories!)

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

This is the one for me.
                  Bought a bunch of soul 45s and this unclassifiable monster was a flip-side of a 45 by a guy I only knew for writing the original of PRETTY FLAMINGO.
                  Incredible grinding psychedelic blues with distorted harmonica and blue-eyed falsetto vocals.

I had one of those moments of frenzied excitement where I thought I'd "discovered" something - only to do a quick site search and realise it's already been mentioned / spun out by many folk around here already!

All roads keep on leading on back.

Still, remarkable piece of music.
                  Yes, great tune that one with a lovely groove to it. Played it out a lot over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Latest in a long line. Had a bit of a "moment" at Utrecht. Fellow plussers were picking up amazing tunes all around me, and I kind of knew what I was hoping to find, and in the end it found me, blasting out of a Philips UFO turntable (watch this space chaps). Probably only playing it about 3 times a day now, it's still doing it for me. Full of all the gimmicky rubbish which gets my pulse going, just over two minutes of poppy swirly magic.....to me anyway.
                    I was delighted to realise I have this on a split library type LP Paul - I thought it sounded familiar when you played it.

http://www.discogs.com/Sweet-Feeling...release/730674

As for the original question - I'm playing 'I Sure Need You' by Puff on a daily basis at the moment. Something naive and magical about it....
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                      I was delighted to realise I have this on a split library type LP Paul - I thought it sounded familiar when you played it.

http://www.discogs.com/Sweet-Feeling...release/730674
                      Ha ha, now you have just put it in place for me Lee mate, I have this in my wants!
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I cycle to work with an ipod shuffle for company. I tend to regularly change the tracks on there but one has stayed put on it all year and will next year too at this rate. I show no signs of tiring of it and I always press repeat when it pops up:

An almost perfect record, I just wish it was about 30 seconds longer with another verse, or maybe preferably a short instrumental break.

Two other, new, songs that have had a similar effect on me this year are Sun Kil Moon Ben's My Friend (see the Top50 thread) and Kate Tempest's Circles.

Comment

ETHNO JAZZ FROM THE LLEUN PENINSULA ....... My heart melted. Hope these are released soon

https://soundcloud.com/adam-j-q-aeck
                          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Ok, here's couple I've stumbled across lately.. both still giving me goosebumps, after many repeated plays

The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                              I completely understand what Fuzz means about old music.
                              The music I listen to for myself is exclusively old - and in the main new music only comes via the radio or my kids

I was about to post something on a jazz tip but then I remembered the incredible experience of having this song pop up on my ipod during a journey home on the tube. I wouldn't say I had a flash back but I was definately tingling all over and had a grin plastered over my face. It was on repeat until I got to my front door.
                              Maybe not everyones cup of cha but it takes me back to a time and place and a very good feeling (but only very sketchy memories!)

This brings back very happy memories. I remember opening a set with it at a brilliant club in Naples called Dynamik Area, when it was a new release (97? 98?) and it set the tone perfectly for that crowd on that night.

My current obsession is this:

Rudy Norman - Back To The Streets. Heard this about a year ago but only just recently managed to find a copy.
                              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Working...
                              X