Selling a Toby Twirl acetateL advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a Toby Twirl acetateL advice needed

I've become mates with a lovely chap who used to drum in psych-pop legends Toby Twirl.
    He has in his possession an acetate of a demo version of Romeo and Juliet.

Tony Waddington, who co-wrote the song with Wayne Bickerton,is singing the verses - to help Toby Twirl vocalist Holly with phrasing.

Anyway, it's a one-off piece and he's looking to sell and I've promised to help him.
    Obviously, I want to make sure he gets as much as he possibly can for it as he's not a rich bloke and he's not getting any younger.

What would you advise him to do?
    Go through a dealer? if so, who? And how?
    Ebay it and hope for the best?
    Or what?

Any advice most welcome.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Get Phil Spelman to sell for you on commission on ebay?
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Might be worth getting an article in a magazine about it (Record Collector, Shindig etc) to drum up interest and then auction it, possibly via Omega up in Manchester who have regular record sales. May take a few months to do all this though and if its quick money thats needed then ebay is probably the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by korova View Post
        Might be worth getting an article in a magazine about it (Record Collector, Shindig etc) to drum up interest and then auction it, possibly via Omega up in Manchester who have regular record sales. May take a few months to do all this though and if its quick money thats needed then ebay is probably the way to go.
        Sounds like great advice to me!

Comment

Being as almost every major UK psych dealer seems to be a crook, Omega or Ebay would appear to be the way to go

Comment

I'd (obviously) recommend Omega, they recently sold some Clique acetates & got well over high estimate (there were a couple of unreleased tracks if i remember rightly).
            The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
            Vault mint

Comment

Originally posted by antwhiplash2 View Post
              I'd (obviously) recommend Omega, they recently sold some Clique acetates & got well over high estimate (there were a couple of unreleased tracks if i remember rightly).
              Where / what is Omega?
              Anyone got a contact?

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                Where / what is Omega?
                Anyone got a contact?
                This place

http://www.omegaauctions.co.uk

I remember reading they take a 20% commission, but it's added to the price of the record. I guess ebay/paypal takes about 13.5% so you'd have to gauge whether it was worth the extra 6.5%

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Victor X Storm View Post
                  This place

http://www.omegaauctions.co.uk

I remember reading they take a 20% commission, but it's added to the price of the record. I guess ebay/paypal takes about 13.5% so you'd have to gauge whether it was worth the extra 6.5%
                  I think what Antwhiplash was alluding to is that... he now works for them, and gets to fondle Sex Pistols A&M singles and get paid for the pleasure! I was going to suggest them, but got the impression that top-end established rarity albums was more their forte.

Most auction houses take 20% commission off the sale price, and then ADD 20% onto the price for the buyer. 40% commission, not bad.
                  Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I´d get that clocked right up myself. Silver hands, continuous silent Quartz movement, bingo! Vinyl-loving russian oligarchs queuing round the block.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Work with a reputable dealer who's known for this kind of stuff or who does focused lists.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        I´d get that clocked right up myself. Silver hands, continuous silent Quartz movement, bingo! Vinyl-loving russian oligarchs queuing round the block.
                        I fully endorse this comment.
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Thanks for all your help chaps.
                          One final question.
                          John has been asking what I reckon a reasonable minimum fixed price would be for the acetate and has suggested £500.
                          I have no idea at all.
                          Any thoughts?

Comment

I think if it was an entirely unreleased track or more interesting/superior to the released version I think this would go for £500+, but as it is I would say £250-£300 as an interesting and probably unique 'work in progress' snapshot of the band recording their best tune. But in the murky world of acetates you can never really tell as their aren't that many serious collectors, but when they really want something they will bid very high.

Comment

Unless he's in a real hurry, have you thought about posting on say, G45central or something and let a few offers roll in? A lot of the high rolling garage/psych dudes post on there. Could potentially avoid 'slow day at the auction house/what's that minus 20%. oh.' woes.

If it were mine to sell, I'd be after something like that too- min 500. On the basis that it's their best (imo) track and the standard release has done more than that on occasion.

Financial considerations aside- I think it's a great alternate vocal! His voice has a slightly posh, folky vibe to it that works really well on the track. Couldn't say that I prefer the finished version tbh.
                              "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Working...
                              X