Nightclubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightclubbing

This rather epic footage of the Palace Nightclub, Crewkerne, Somerset in 1986 came my way courtesy of my cousin, who used to hang out there. Apparently they would clear the dance floor towards the end of the night so they could show off the lighting rig to its full effect. The fabulous end result is captured here towards the end of the video, along with footage of the light up dance floor... go Crewkerne!

Any more examples of top nightclub setups / atmos out there?

Bloody hell! It's like going to see Yes in the 70s!
    Strange way to finish a night off, mind you I never really "got" the 80s. I'm reliably informed I was there though (not The Palace).
    Out of interest, do you know if that was shot by the venue or a punter with one of those huge video cameras?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

What a rig!

That's superb. I posted this in the subcultures thread:

Originally posted by eine View Post
      This is an absolute gem. Jeremey Dellar showed this in Sheffield recently. It's a two hour kind of documentary/promo video for the Xclusiv nightclub in Batley, West Yorkshire.

Make sure you see the last dance from 1.56:45. Brilliant.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Great club but dubious jumper policy!

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

In the early 90s I went to a club in Manchester the name of which escapes me
          It had a sprung dance floor which made dancing to indie rock a bit challenging as the floor was never at the height you thought it was
          And at the end of the night they played the theme from Dambusters whie everyone ran round the dance floor until someone fell over and then they jumped on him!
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

There was a long YouTube vid of a mid-80s Birmingham(?) nightclub. Just had a look but can't find it
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
              And at the end of the night they played the theme from Dambusters whie everyone ran round the dance floor until someone fell over and then they jumped on him!
              Reminds me of when everyone mimed the actions and then ran around to the "Stingray" theme. And it was always Sinatra's "New York, New York" at the end of the night, including the arms linked and high kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                What a rig!

That's superb. I posted this in the subcultures thread:
                That Stones Bitter (pish) pump on the bar transported me back 30 years (shudder).

Here's a short piece of film on the Fiesta club Sheffield 1970's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bebvd8atLU

Sheffield swings!
                record licker

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                  In the early 90s I went to a club in Manchester the name of which escapes me
                  It had a sprung dance floor which made dancing to indie rock a bit challenging as the floor was never at the height you thought it was
                  That was the Ritz on a Monday night, £1 to get in, free pint of intensely watered down Fosters, cornucopia of drugs available from the tunnel under the dancefloor.

I think I must have gone every week for about 2 years, I used to run out & pick up dropped money in the gaps between aeroplanes during the Dambusters (633 Squadron) usually sorted my taxi home, risky but worth it. I heard they stopped doing it for a few month because some kid died in the mass pile on that always happened at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                    That was the Ritz on a Monday night, £1 to get in, free pint of intensely watered down Fosters, cornucopia of drugs available from the tunnel under the dancefloor.

I think I must have gone every week for about 2 years, I used to run out & pick up dropped money in the gaps between aeroplanes during the Dambusters (633 Squadron) usually sorted my taxi home, risky but worth it. I heard they stopped doing it for a few month because some kid died in the mass pile on that always happened at the end.
                    Ha Ha - that's exactly right
                    Didn't partake of the drugs but now you mention the beer it was pretty awful!
                    But I did meet a girl - which was nice
                    And I'm not at all surprised that a load of drunks jumping on each other shoud lead to injury
                    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Splash One - Glasgow circa 1985

This is the club I was just a bit too young to ever go to, which just ran for a year. I'd see posters for "A Splash One Happening" round at friends' flats and wish I could have gone. A "psychedelic punk rock soundtrack" with live appearances by Sonic Youth, The Loft, Wire, Primal Scream, Felt, The Pastels - I always imagined what it might have been like, so was mesmerised when this grainy footage appeared on youtube.

Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Mid 80s clubbing looked like this for me - the WAG club - Jazz Room - Monday nights - see if you can spot me lurking in the darkness...

A typical end of the night tune from Paul Murphy would have been this one.

Last edited by SirSlim; 16-12-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

This club was my first entry point in . . .

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

can´t find any footage of any clubs i went to in the 80s , but it went pretty much like this mostly.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

There´s a great guide to 80s clubs in the Toon here, written by Simon, who I worked alongside at a couple of places.

http://www.eccentricsleevenotes.com/...s(1722660).htm

When someone posted me the link I was a bit horrified to find a pic of myself near the bottom in which I might very possibly sporting a leather cap. Possibly backwards. .
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X