The "Listen to something you've not previously bothered with" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Listen to something you've not previously bothered with" thread

To judge by the general tone of the discussion elsewhere on the board, we all have too many records, and don't listen to them enough. As a spin off from the NY resolutions thread, I encourage you to play something you've had for ages and never, ever listen to or (ideally) something that you've had for yonks but never listened to, even once. Document this process here.

I'll begin:

Compilation of early singles by this London band. This is really good loud filthy rock and roll. If this was a hard rock private from the US in the 70s, it'd be selling for thousands of pounds. The bass is frighteningly loud it makes me think they've fucked up the mixing. There's a few C&W style guitar twanging moves mixed in but they are all drowned out by this wall of bass. I know it's going to annoy my downstairs neighbour. It has the feel of genuine dirt - "they mean it maaaaan". I have met some of these guys and they do seem to be the drunken hammered reprobates that would make this unholy racket. I found this in a charity shop over two years ago and it's never made it onto the decks. I'm glad it has.

LIVE LISTENING EDIT: Their version of "Miserlou" is a slow, dirty pulse of a track, standing out from the frenetic other tracks. I can't believe I've never played this before - it kicks ass! I can't understand what the vocals are saying, and I don't think it matters a toss. Great stuff - kinda reminds me of Hasil Adkins via an early 90s Camden Town, drunk out of his face and smashing up his guitar.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Great cover too!
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I was thinking actually it'd fit right in with those great 00's 45s you posted the other day. Stops me from buying them right away n Discogs anyway!
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

I saw Gallon Drunk in Manchester in the early 90's on an odd bill alongside 'Therapy?' and 'Daisy Chainsaw' I think. Anyway I was kind of distracted by a dishevelled Mark E Smith right down the front for their set who bopped and guffawed throughout then promptly did one when the main headliners came on. That said I seem to remember they were the highlight of the evening music wise.
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

They still going actually - the guys I met are part of the new setup - they were gigging in London before Xmas. I'll have to catch 'em next time.

Comment

Great band, and I think their recent material is as good as anything they've ever done.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
              .....As a spin off from the NY resolutions thread, I encourage you to play something you've had for ages and never, ever listen to..
              Conversely, I would find it more interesting to know about which records you have and only either played once or never at all and don't intend to play it in the future because it cost you a lot of money?
              I'm sure there are collectors who like to own "the article" and it is not for playing.

Comment

I would respectfully suggest that this is done in a separate thread. Could be an interesting discussion. I don't have anything that's not for playing. But I'm not a particularly "serious" collector.

Comment

I was going to start a similar thread a few months ago when I played something I hadn't played for many years. Can't recall what it was now though. I'll try and contribute to this thread when I get a chance.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

La Düsseldorf's third LP from 1980 ‎– Individuellos.

This has been on my mental review list for ages and this thread has prompted me to sit down and play it. Much more synth and piano than Klaus Dinger's previous two LPs which I know better. I thought I hadn't really listened to this but it turned out the melodies and sounds were quite comfortable in my memory. The whole LP seemed to live at the bottom level of my brain: even though it was on, I couldn't properly hear it. At first I thought this was a good thing, and that there was something timeless to these sounds, but then I realised on the second play it was just too bland. It had the coked-up timbre of easy glide but without any of the groove. If I was a vampire in Dusseldorf and wanted to listen to something elegiac as I contemplated the sad but wonderful prison of eternal hedonism, I would stick this on as I sucked a maiden's crimson blood for the 1001st time. But I'm not, so it is PURGED.
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I think Dennis Wilson 'Pacific Ocean Blue' fits the description. I got a copy from one of the Canadian guys here (Crawdaddy I think it was you!), played it once, wasn't much impressed and just put it away. Strangely enough I bought the Sundazed reissue as well which I did not listen to at all and also filed away.

Fast forward one month ago: I decided to listen to the album again and this time it made sense. Totally loved it and been playing the record frequently ever since
                      Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

I never gave any Babe Ruth Lps the time of day. Always thought it was "all about the Mexican" so gave their other Lps a wide berth. How wrong was I , every album has some gold on it. Worth a punt and cheap too (especially the Capitol Albums)

Second track Broken cloud is ace

about 24 mins in a great Bob Jmaes esque solo

Even their 76 lp has a great open beat

Pleasantly surprised with their stuff
                        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

I always make sure to play records all the way through once. other than spoken word lps. Of course some probably never get a second listen. So there are some surprises in the racks for me.

That Gallon Drunk comp is a favourite. Some of those earliest singles are very crude in every sense. Especially sonically. I think they started recording and putting out the odd single pretty early in their career before they'd really mastered the basics of playing or songwriting.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Yeah I did the same with Babe Ruth, thought it was all about The Mexixan and a Keep Your Distance and didn't properly chech the rest of the album. Found a few killer tracks when I did investigate them properly last year.

Comment

I actually played this one months ago but seems appropriate to this thread. When I first heard The Electric Prunes in 1992 it was the obvious garage psych tracks. A year or two later I was delighted to find a Prunes LP at the market - Just Good Old Rock N' Roll. Of course I got it home and was disappointed with the listen as it wasn't Too Much To Dream style tracks (I wasn't familiar with the Axelrod LP's at that time). The record was shelved and I just went along with the consensus that the record sucked.

Come 2014 and trying to find records to sell from the racks made me revisit the LP. Of course its not a solid listen and has that typical 69/70 gruff voiced bluesy approach but the LP contains 3 or 4 great tracks to my ears (my fave isn't on youtube).

"Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X