Mix for an 11 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix for an 11 year old

I need a present for my niece's 11 year's birthday and am thinking about making one of those trying to turn people on to music I think they should like-CDs. She likes Justin Bieber som I'm thinking maybe she'll like some later Stevie, Bobby Caldwell, some Neo soul etc. I did make her a kiddie funk mix once but she just looked at me funny.....

You could do something like Uptown Funk and extrapolate the influences from there - disco, soul etc, but make it accessible innit.

Comment

You'll have to carefully select a series of songs that will gradually draw her out of the Bieber media marketing complex and introduce her into an altogether more complicated and intense place concerned with private hopes, desires, losses and moments of trancendence. It's a tough call to do before puberty bites!
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Give her one of Striker's J-Pop mixes
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

11 year olds are utterly terrifying, I can't even remember being 11

I was convinced my last mix was more old-fart friendly than the first (marginally) :/

For realsies though I can't help, though it might be worth setting up an accompanying spotify playlist, many young people have an aversion to physical media so it might increase the chances of airtime.

Comment

My kid´s a bit older, but has got all his mates, including a few 11-year-olds, into the Awesome Mixtape from Guardians of the Galaxy.

I lasted about half an hour into the film myself, which is basically a quest for a magic orb punctuated with lots of fights and some smart dialogue, but the Walkman was a nice touch. I go "Ah yes, Blue Swede was first used in Reservoir Dogs" and they just look at me blankly.

Don´t try and educate. Just stick loads of hook-laden bangers on.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've come to my senses and will let things take their natural course or something.

Comment

Working...
              X