The Rarest Record In The World...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rarest Record In The World...

So, the auction for Darrell Banks recently finished at over £14,000 and is thought to be a one-off. What are considered to be the rarest records in the world (I'm not counting things like Quarrymen acetates, because they're acetates, so by their very definition only a handful would have been made)? Dukowski on here owns a single by Glass Unicorn (you couldn't make it up, could you?) which was apparently pressed in an edition of 6 back in the early 1970s.

I'm asking because last night on 6Music, The Sexual Objects (current band of ex-Fire Engines, Nectarine No.9 head honcho Davy Henderson) announced the release of their new album "Marshmallow" which will be released in a limited edition of... ONE. To be auctioned on ebay from 15th January for ten days. This isn't just a marketing stunt for a CD or download release, since there are none and the winner of the auction will also own exclusive rights to the record, and can subsequently do what they like with it.

Has there ever been a vinyl record manufactured in an edition of precisely one (this isn't an acetate or a vinyl carver, it's a manufactured vinyl record with labels and a sleeve) and will this now become the rarest record in existence?
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
    Has there ever been a vinyl record manufactured in an edition of precisely one (this isn't an acetate or a vinyl carver, it's a manufactured vinyl record with labels and a sleeve) and will this now become the rarest record in existence?
    Not sure on actual format of the release, but it's claimed to be an edition of one and "bids of $5m have been received". that could be the sum of all the bids, of course...

Wu Tang Clan - Once Upon A Time In Shaolin

has anyone here signed up to the private auction at Paddle 8?

Comment

There must also be records for which no known copies now exist - blues 78s from the 20s perhaps. Can't get rarer than that...

Comment

Just to clarify - the Glass Unicorn (which is just a superb band name) was released in an edition of 25 copies (the 6 copies relates to a band called Jody from sunny Bathgate but I think that it might have been acetates or demos cut at REL Studios as part of a competition prize and therefore not really for wide release and if anyone happens to have a copy please hit me up) - not that that is much more of a pressing run to be fair

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          There must also be records for which no known copies now exist - blues 78s from the 20s perhaps. Can't get rarer than that...
          And here we enter the realms of philosophy - if there are no known copies of a record, can it be proved it actually exists? There were thought to be no copies of Darrell Banks, but one appeared. I've never really contemplated the reverse - records which are thought to exist, but there are NO known copies...

Comment

John Tefteller paid $37,000+ for this 78: Tommy Johnson: Alcohol and Jake Blues, and felt he got a bargain.
            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
              Not sure on actual format of the release, but it's claimed to be an edition of one and "bids of $5m have been received". that could be the sum of all the bids, of course...

Wu Tang Clan - Once Upon A Time In Shaolin
              I'd somehow sort of forgotten about Wu Tang Clan - the Sexual Objects release was in the middle of production when Wu Tang announced their one-off. A strange co-incidence... However, scanning through an article from a link from the link:

"Now, all that remains to be done is to transfer the digital files of Once Upon A Time In Shaolin to a physical disc, enclose it in the silver box, and nail down some dates for the exhibition. To be sure, there’s always a chance that this carefully conceived plan will combust before it sees the light of day, a possibility that Cilvaringz recognizes."

So, it's possible it doesn't even exist. And an image of the box looks like it's been designed for... a CD?

Comment

Jean Michel Jarre's "Music For Supermarkets", one copy pressed, masters destroyed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_Supermarkets

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  Jean Michel Jarre's "Music For Supermarkets", one copy pressed, masters destroyed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_Supermarkets
                  some might say all his releases should have been limited to one?

Comment

i don't the think the word "rare" has any meaning when you're talking about deliberate one-off pressings for auction. Any of those acetates made in the recording booths that you see in Brighton Rock would be equally "rare".

Rare has a different meaning to unique or singular. It implies that it maybe once existed in quantity, or at least something that has been known of and long sought after.

The Wu Tang or Sexual objects records are no more rare than the combination of words I´ve just writte .
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Swedish band bob hund did something similar. They released a single in 2009 that sold for about 3000€. Not matching wu tang but very high for a swedish band

Comment

No one talks about paintings being rare (prints, yes) because it´s obvious there´s only one of them.

Records though, like books, are mass-produced artefacts. I think the concept of rarity only really applies within that context.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The Brian Eno library called Textures is a contender.

"The story to this album is quite simple. Pressed in 1989, it was made at a time when library music was no longer promoted to TV companies, production companies, radio stations on vinyl. So instead it was cancelled and sent out on CD. The very few albums that were pressed and survived destruction have never been sent out. Not even the BBC has one in their formidable library music archive. Only a handful were ever made, and seriously, very few people even know about the existence of it. One other owner of the LP has tried many times to write it up on discogs, but had it removed 7 times as no one believed him that it actually existed – it’s finally up there now. I first came across the album when I was licensing music from Standard for a compilation about a decade ago and during a conversation with one of the knowledgeable staff there, discovered that the Textures vinyl album was made, but immediately shelved and never sent out. It’s unlikely it will ever get pressed commercially as the library has no deal with Eno in place to allow commercial issues of this album (and yes, I have tried). The original Textures CDs from the same date (1989) that were sent out instead of the vinyl are highly sought after and hit £200 - £300 if they are ever seen, even subsequent represses of the CD are very rare and very expensive. There have been bootlegs of the CD too. But this is the vinyl pressing - never seen on the market before and only a small handful known to exist. This has to be the rarest Eno album, and certainly the rarest UK library album in existence - and certainly the only one I know with this kind of story. Unusually for a library album the composer has written sleevenotes, so there are two paragraphs by the man himself about his “Music for films” on the reverse of the sleeve."

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                            I'm asking because last night on 6Music, The Sexual Objects (current band of ex-Fire Engines, Nectarine No.9 head honcho Davy Henderson) announced the release of their new album "Marshmallow" which will be released in a limited edition of... ONE. To be auctioned on ebay from 15th January for ten days. This isn't just a marketing stunt for a CD or download release, since there are none and the winner of the auction will also own exclusive rights to the record, and can subsequently do what they like with it.
                            Bloody hell! Really? This was going to be a major event for me. I've been looking forward to this since it was mooted last year. There were facebook posts and everything. What about that Aphex twin record last year; that was only one copy wasn't it?
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I have been on the lookout for a single for years and not had a sniff of it.
                              The last one that had been listed on ebay sold for £12 and that was probably five years ago.And finally someone listed one over a week ago and it sold for this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3314311114...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Now that is a record breaker!

Comment

Working...
                              X