Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be a price limit on common music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should there be a price limit on common music?

Apparently quite a few common 90s pop-rock releases go for money if they're on rare vinyl. A couple of local stores are selling the Danish singer CV Jørgensen's 'Sjælland' LP for 200-350 Euros. I'm sure It's great, but he's a real common artist. Do you think there should be a price limit on common titles and acts? Should the price reflect the music, the style, the mainstreamness?
    Last edited by pitch; 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM. Reason: confusion over spelling

A friend of mine was very happy when he picked up a Celine Dion record at the flea market a few months back. Of course I was laughing at him throughout the day until I got home and saw what he had bought.

http://www.popsike.com/AUDIOPHILE-CE...631944005.html

To answer your question: No. Expensive records that I will have absolutely no regrets of selling on are great.

I would petition for a day where every record had to be sold for 1 Euro for a whole day just so I could gang up Mad Max style to cross a few wants of my list.
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
      Apparently quite a few common 90s pop-rock releases go for money if they're on rare vinyl. A couple of local stores are selling the Danish singer CV Jørgensen's 'Sjælland' LP for 200-350 Euros. I'm sure It's great, but he's a real common artist. Do you think there should be a prize limit on common titles and acts? Should the prize reflect the music, the style, the mainstreamness?
      I think if you want to put limits on how much you can charge for something, then you are like a fascist or something. It;s a bloody free-market economy, last I looked. You are free to charge what you like. I think there should be limits on how much people are allowed to eat in one day before limits on record prices are put. Some may say that there should be limits on how much bandwidth people are allowed to take on forums by asking silly questions.

Comment

Well, that was a measured response Mr Stanislas. Suggestions of fascism before nine o'clock on a Sunday? Oh dear.

Headless Mermaid - it makes more sense to me that rarities by big artists command big prices than avant-garde obscurities. That modern pop bit of the market is very weird though.
        Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

But I don't wanna be a fascist!!

I just asked for people's opinions.

Comment

Do you mean common on other formats? If newish records are commanding that much prize they can't be that common. It must just be a result of small runs even from large labels so not everyone who wants one can get the record (obviously, I suppose). I found some records from within the last 10 years or so can fall in price quite dramatically over time though - Death Proof, Laura Marling and 808s & Heartbreaks as examples seem to all have gone from about £150 to about £50-£60 within maybe a year or two.

No idea why some of that stuff from the 90s would be so expensive even if they were pressed in such limited numbers.

Comment

I'd guess because Celine Dion, say, is very popular. The vinyl presses for that kind of album would be very small, particularly considering how big she was. So, a big demand and a small supply.

What I find odd is how comparatively underground those collectors are. Collectors of relative obscurities are much more visible (and numerous?) than collectors of megastars.

Comment

I don't really understand the question - who would set the price limit, The International Committee of Record Buyers? What counts as too mainstream to be expensive?

Comment

There would need to be a regulator, definitely. The big worry would be the development of an Even Blacker Market for mainstream pop buyers, where prices would be completely insane.

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                  What I find odd is how comparatively underground those collectors are. Collectors of relative obscurities are much more visible (and numerous?) than collectors of megastars.
                  Imagine how that would work out once Secret Mainstream Discogs got underway.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I suspect Headless Mermaid wasn't actually suggesting banning sales over a certain amount. It would more be about a knock on the door in the middle of the night from a jack-booted dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                      The big worry would be the development of an Even Blacker Market for mainstream pop buyers, where prices would be completely insane.

Imagine how that would work out once Secret Mainstream Discogs got underway.
                      Wait, haven't you heard of eBay Platinum?

https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

any chance of changing prize to price in the thread title?

it's sunday, I'm tired and the thread title makes no sense.

edit: thank you
                        Last edited by ivan_smackhead; 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM.
                        "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                          I suspect Headless Mermaid wasn't actually suggesting banning sales over a certain amount. It would more be about a knock on the door in the middle of the night from a jack-booted dealer.
                          Yes.

Comment

Apparently quite a few common 90s pop-rock releases go for money if they're on rare vinyl. A couple of local stores are selling the Danish singer CV Jørgensen's 'Sjælland' LP for 200-350 Euros. I'm sure It's great, but he's a real common artist. Do you think there should be a prize limit on common titles and acts? Should the prize reflect the music, the style, the mainstreamness?
                            No, no, no, and erm...no How would the price reflect the music? Who says whats good?
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

But I don't wanna be a fascist!!

I just asked for people's opinions.
                              Well, OK, I just thought your question seemed a bit fascistic. I don;t know what to tell you, mate. I can;t help you. Don;t let me stop you having bunga-bunga parties, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X