Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earliest example of cod reggae

I'm writing a piece on cod reggae.

What's the earliest cod reggae (or ska, as the case may be) record you've come across?

The best known early example I suppose, is the Beatles, but there must be others given the fact it had crossed over into the charts by '64.

Ta everyone!
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

The, largely appalling, comp Skanish Sounds indicates there was plenty of cod Ska in Spain in the mid to late 60s. Though disentangling it from cod-calypso (please not another version of Shame & Scandal) might be a hard task.

When did Locomotive do "Rudi's In Love"?
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
        The, largely appalling, comp Skanish Sounds indicates there was plenty of cod Ska in Spain in the mid to late 60s. Though disentangling it from cod-calypso (please not another version of Shame & Scandal) might be a hard task.

When did Locomotive do "Rudi's In Love"?
        68, which was same time Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da isn't it?

Comment

Comment

I don't think I've got a copy anymore but there's a cod-calypso/Islands song on Sandie Shaw's 1967 Love Me, Please Love Me.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Interesting word 'cod' by the way. The OED has:

2. A joke; a hoax, leg-pull; a parody, a ‘take-off’. (See also E.D.D. n.5) Also attrib. or quasi-adj., parodying, burlesque; ‘mock’.

1905 Sketch 51 472/2 Says he: ‘Is that an absolute bargain—no cod?’ Says she: ‘I don't know what the fish has to do with it, but I am perfectly sincere.’
              1916 J. Joyce Portrait of Artist i. 45 Some fellows had drawn it there for a cod.
              1952 W. Granville Dict. Theatr. Terms 46 Cod version, a burlesque of a well-known play.
              1959 Church Times 16 Jan. 4/4 The ‘cod’ Victorian decorations tend to disguise the editor's underlying seriousness.
              1959 Listener 29 Jan. 228/1 She obliged, initially in the delicious hiccup polka, a cod of Old Vienna.
              1959 Listener 29 Jan. 228/2 Joyce Grenfell too, doing her evergreen cod chorister.
              1961 ‘B. Wells’ Day Earth caught Fire ii. 31 Pete picked up the empty tea mug and again used it as a cod mike. ‘Alcoholics of the press, unite!’
              1962 Listener 5 July 36/1 The very idiosyncratic cod cockney of the scenes.
              1970 Guardian 11 May 8/2 The cod version of ‘Road to Mandalay’.
              I suppose you could draw a line here between cod reggae/cod ethnic music and exotica. One originates in parody and humour, the other in imagination and sublime.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                68, which was same time Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da isn't it?
                Sort of what I reckoned. So I didn't think it answered your question as such, but would be sueful background information.

The joke aspect of the term "cod" makes me think of Johnathan King's fine examples of the ouvere rather than something like The Beatles or Locomotive's attempts. Which might more kindly be called ersatz-reggae.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                  The joke aspect of the term "cod"...
                  Did you look it up in the dictionary? I don't think that aspect is necessary for its use.
                  Last edited by Rich Hero; 14-01-2015, 09:44 AM. Reason: Rogue apostrophe.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Red Red Wine was 1967?

The Spanish ska comp is intriguing. Reggae never really seemed to take off in Spain (although ska did in the 80s with Mano Negra et al, and is now a basic element of a certain Catalan rumba sound ) but there does seem to be a slew of hamfisted ska recordings around the mid to late 60s. I´ve got a hotel promo ep with an appalling stab at ska on it by a Catalan group, - I´ll check the date.
                    Might be due to the influence of Caribbean hotel band members, or maybe just a keenness for any latest dance craze.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

How about Georgie Fame or is that too Blubeat?
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I think the term cod is deeply unfair, BTW. If we called Living Colour cod rock, I think it would be rightly seen as slightly dodgy. I think it stems from this idea from the rock press of authenticity, which is a hugely overrated part of pop and rock music. Give me artifice any day...

Comment

As I have mentioned on here before the Italians actually invented reggae in 1962:

http://www.discogs.com/Miranda-Marti...elease/3117539

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                            I think the term cod is deeply unfair, BTW. If we called Living Colour cod rock, I think it would be rightly seen as slightly dodgy. I think it stems from this idea from the rock press of authenticity, which is a hugely overrated part of pop and rock music. Give me artifice any day...
                            I take cod reggae to mean that it has mildly embarrassing "island" elements - fake Jamaican accents, steel drum trills, etc. Paul McCartney is a giant of the genre.

That´s not to say I don´t frequently enjoy embarrassing island elements.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                              As I have mentioned on here before the Italians actually invented reggae in 1962:

http://www.discogs.com/Miranda-Marti...elease/3117539
                              We've been here before Gian Don't forget that Peppino Di Capri invented Ska in 1966
                              some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Working...
                              X