Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caribou: The Longest Mixtape (lots of VG+ friendly songs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribou: The Longest Mixtape (lots of VG+ friendly songs)

Hi all

Has anyone else seen this? Caribou has put together a 1,000 song Youtube playlist featuring loads of great tracks, many of them known by or of interest to plussers:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBIm_JT5Q7JeaI
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
    Hi all

Has anyone else seen this? Caribou has put together a 1,000 song Youtube playlist featuring loads of great tracks, many of them known by or of interest to plussers:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBIm_JT5Q7JeaI
    Camino Del sol - Antena

Essence of Sapphire - Dorothy Ashby

Scrappy - Wookie

Can't argue with those but it has to be said - putting a youtube playlist together - that's not hard is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
      Camino Del sol - Antena

Essence of Sapphire - Dorothy Ashby

Scrappy - Wookie

Can't argue with those but it has to be said - putting a youtube playlist together - that's not hard is it?

well, there's 1000 of them, and given some/ many of his audience will be using youtube to access sstuff, perhaps access/ availability drove the choice of format...

Comment

I know a few young types [ !! ] and they have been blow away by this - which is encouraging because in my opinion there is decent percentage of top quality tunes here
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Yeah it's a real nice selection if you can endure the ads.
          http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

Interesting that I've seen this discussed on many music boards and opinions vary from "nice selection" to "anyone can pick 1000 songs and stick 'em on youtube". Well, anyone can pick 1000 songs but a lot of people can't pick 1000 good ones so I'm more in the first camp I think. Of course people are interested because he's Caribou but let's face it, when we hear that someone we like will be on the radio or dj-ing somewhere we're interested because we are interested in their taste and quite often that doesn't amount to much more than one song played after another. Most of the value in dj-ing is in tune selection and I think most of us value dj-ing to some extent so this is worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
              Yeah it's a real nice selection if you can endure the ads.
              I d/l ed Adblock a month ago. there´s been a few times when stuff has loaded slower, but it´s still miles better than having the ads. Especially in Spain, where ads are usually a bloke shouting at you at twice the usual volume for a minute or yoghurt ukelele nonsense.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                Of course people are interested because he's Caribou.
                I have no idea who he is? Should I?

On the 1000 good records front - whatever happened to this thread:

I bet we didn't quite finish the list...

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ie-quot-thread

#

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                  Me neither....

The selection is rather random and doesn't seem to have any connecting factors. I'm pretty sure the majority of posters on this board could equal or better Caribou's efforts. I fail to see the point beyond self-promotion.
                  "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

I've got to be honest, my mate sent me a link to this as he was raving about it, I got board by song number three. To be honest I don't see the point really, guess it's got people talking about it on music forums.

That said I don't think it was aimed at the likes of me, or the majority of us on here!
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Here's his original Facebook post about it, just to put it in context:

The last few years of my life have been incredible, thanks in large part to all of you - so I've been thinking of how to say thank you.
                      As you can imagine, music has been a central love of my life since I was a teenager and over the years I've been introduced to a lot that has stayed with me. I've collected the majority of that music here – and I thought sharing it with you seemed like one way I could say thanks.
                      I'm sure some things are under-represented or over-represented, but roughly speaking this is a musical history of my life. Of course a lot of this music has come to me through my friends - thank you to Koushik, Kieran, Jeremy, Gary, Brandon, Jason, Sam, Ketan, Ryan, Toby and many others...
                      Also, please share music with me that you think I would like but is not included here, in the hope this becomes a dialogue rather than a monologue.
                      I suggest you listen to this on shuffle as I made no attempt to sequence these tracks - I just entered them as I browsed along the shelves in my record collection. If you see dead links or duplicate songs please tweet me @caribouband.
                      Due to a fault in youtube's playlist coding if you embed this playlist it will be truncated down to 200 tracks. Hopefully they will resolve that at some point but for now if you want to hear all 1000 songs you need to listen at the link below.
                      I hope you find something to enjoy here. Thanks,
                      Dan
                      MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

It's this guy isn't it? Formerly called Manitoba

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                          It's this guy isn't it? Formerly called Manitoba
                          sure is.

the influences listed on his wiki page are vg+ friendly in the extreme, inc My Bloody Valentine · Aphex Twin · Nick Drake · The Zombies · Can · Soft Machine · Neu! · Pharoah Sanders· Silver Apples

Comment

He did a couple of records that were very VG+ friendly - 'The Milk of Human Kindness' in particular - I put 'Bees' on my swap a few years ago. I saw him play a club in Dalston around the time and the drumming was incredible.

Unfortunately he seems to have left the motorik drumming and psychedelic sounds behind in favour of more dance orientated fare.

http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X