Import charges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import charges?

Desperately dull I know... I apologise in advance.

I've just won a 45 for $30.99 from an American seller on Ebay and the invoice has arrived with $14.20 postage and an additional fee of $10.67 for import charges...

I've bought afew 45's of a similar value from America in the past and have never been hit for import charges... is this a recent thing... anyone else had this?

Occassionally I've had to stump up a fee at the post office or something they deamed needed an import tax but they were more expensive than this... anyone know what the official figures are?

I'm not convinced that import charges should be paid to sellers...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

@Fuz - had this before - genuine - the idea being the item does not get suck in customs for days... hence you can't claim lost on lost in post on non-tracked items... really benefits the seller... I guess those that have had issues have signed up.

The collected fees don't as I remember go to seller - can't remember the details, but go to prove you've paid import duty... only saving to you is nabbed by customs on arrival you don't pay the handling charge for working out the duty due...

Parcel is stamped up and courier aware that all import duties have been paid...
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Thanks John!

But on a $31 item?
      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
        Thanks John!

But on a $31 item?
        I've been done before. Anything over £15 attracts VAT. The next thing will be the £8 handling charge which they slap on. If you get out of that you'll have done well.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
          Thanks John!

But on a $31 item?
          over £15 you are liable to pay Import VAT (or over £36 if marked as gift), according to HMRC. over £136 you are liable to pay import duties too.

of course, it's a net, and plenty fish get through...

Comment

There is some info on the DHL site - http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/ship...ies_taxes.html

I always get mixed up with VAT and Duty.
            "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
            X