Artists who never released one bad track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artists who never released one bad track

The number of artists who released more than one LP - or more than, say, five or six 45s - and yet never released one duff track must be pretty small, I'm guessing.
    Most of the bands I love the most put out some terrible crud between the diamonds.
    One that I'd suggest never did would be possibly the best American band of all time: BIG STAR.
    To these ears at least, they put out great and then really fucking incredibly great songs - and never anything less.

Any other candidates?
    Or, of course, any nominations for a bad Big Star song?
    To infinity - and beyond!

Surely such a statement is all in the eye (ear) of the beholder? What nonsense.
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
      Surely such a statement is all in the eye (ear) of the beholder? What nonsense.
      There goes the site, then, eh.

Strangely, the subjective nature of such things as opinions about music was something I had vaguely been aware before you pointed it out, but thank you.

Perhaps I should have been more circumspect in my initial line of questioning and clarified that I was interested in hearing if there were any other artists in your opinions/s who never released a bad song - or one that you personally with your own individual and naturally subjective tastes regarded as bad!!!!

Or specified that if you were generally of the opinion that Big Star are a pretty decent act, I'd be curious to know whether there is a small portion of their output that you regard as less than satisfactory to some reason.

Kind of figured that'd be obvious, but hey . . .
      To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Now I think about it, Eric Dolphy. True genius.
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

no bad songs by Big Star - not one !
          Tricky one Hugh - I could go for certain eras - like Simon and Garfunkel 65-68 / Beach Boys 66-69 [ roughly of course ] I would go for the Left Banke I think / or the Zombies / or Shack - it could get too personal I suppose but I guess what this is about - thinking cap back on ....

edit - Left Banke before they recorded that album for Bam Caruso 'voices calling' I think it was called
          Rockwell
          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Buffalo Spring Field, The Left Banke and Ford Theatre spring to mind.
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Mad River

Mighty Baby
              No arguments this end as regards Big Star
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Bill Fay

Trying to think of a bad Super Furry Animals track - and Gruff Rhys for that matter.
                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                  Or, of course, any nominations for a bad Big Star song?
                  This one is certainly not my favourite:

Not a patch on this classic party song:

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                    Or specified that if you were generally of the opinion that Big Star are a pretty decent act, I'd be curious to know whether there is a small portion of their output that you regard as less than satisfactory to some reason.
                    Actually Hugh, I don't think I've heard a Big Star song for 30 plus years! I'll check them out later.

Comment

This forum has a powerful way in which it can rejuvenate 'favourite band' threads in a vaguely new guise!

Still Pavement.
                      http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

Big Star

First album - too pop

Second album - several tracks = best in show

Third album - dirge rock (head nods, falls asleep).

Comment

Elvis Costello And The Attractions. Note, "and The Attractions"
                          "Warning...May Contain Oboes"

Comment

Very difficult. Up until his 80s comeback Sam Dees would have fitted this just perfectly.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Velvet Underground

...I think

...not including squeeze
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X