RIP Don Covay 1938-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Don Covay 1938-2015

I've just caught up with the sad news that Don Covay passed away in his sleep on January 30th.

A true giant of Soul and R&B who doesn't always get the recognition he deserves. Prolific songwriter, and he could sing them slow, bluesy, rocking, sweet, down and dirty.

Red Kelly has put together a nice piece on him here (actually an extensive run down on his career that Red wrote a few years ago, now I've read it properly)

I grew up with Super Dude. A sad loss.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

What a shame. You're right, he doesn't really get the recognition he should have. Until I saw this I wasn't aware he'd died but when I was clearing the ice from the car this morning, and switched the player on, this was the track that was next up on the mix CD I'd had playing- spooky.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
        I grew up with Super Dude. A sad loss.
        Me too!

Just recently I have been right back into him too - his Jefferson Lemon albums have been getting plenty of play.

Comment

Working...
        X