Mood quotient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mood quotient?

I have a CD of Egisto Macchi “I futuribilli”. Not really my thing, as I like my rhythms more obvious.

However, the last track (“Reperti Lunari”) fits nicely at the end of a particular mix that I did for someone. I thought so anyway. They liked the rest of the mix and said that Egisto’s track was a “dirge”. I didn’t say anything in response. If I had, I might have said that it was “intense, almost beautiful”.

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I pitched it up. I was struck by how pretty it was. And almost ordinary. It occurred to me that Egisto might just have taken one of his more mainstream orchestral compositions, and pitched it down.

I seem to recall over the years people here saying that they have pitched up a track to increase its ‘groove quotient’. Has anyone ever tried pitching a track down to give increase its ‘mood quotient’? If so, any recommendations?

I was thinking mainly about tracks with a strong orchestral component. But if you've had similar success with other music...

Comment

I find UK oldskool hardcore is often better pitched down, particularly from 1992/3.

Comment

I like this.

Vic Acid by Squarepusher is great slowed down.

Comment

Acen Trip II The Moon on 33 is pretty majestic
          MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by Xann View Post

I like this.

Vic Acid by Squarepusher is great slowed down.

It still moves a long a bit doesn't it? I don't know that I'd get much out of it if it was much faster.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                It still moves a long a bit doesn't it? I don't know that I'd get much out of it if it was much faster.
                Clicky

Teeth gritting fun for all the family

Comment

"Has anyone ever tried pitching a track down to give increase its ‘mood quotient’? If so, any recommendations?"
                  You know about new beat and A Split Second - Flesh right?

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                    You know about new beat and A Split Second - Flesh right?
                    I think that I met him when I was last in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                      I think that I met him when I was last in Paris.
                      Meaning 'no'.

Comment

A whole scene based on records either played at 33 instead of 45 or else records that were made to sound as though they were being played at 33 instead of 45. This was allegedly all caused by someone (I forget who) playing Flesh by A Split Second at 33 (but pitched up to the max if you see what I mean) to increase the groove I guess.
                        Some info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Split-Second

A Split-Second's debut single "Flesh" is credited with starting the New Beat genre, at 33 rpm, "Fat Ronnie's inspiration snowballed when Marc and a handful of other DJs were listening to "Flesh", the latest 12" from Belgian electronic band A Split Second in Antwerp's USA Import record store. By slowing the pitch control down to a lurching 33, Marc transformed the track from pleasant Euro-Industrialism to the melodramatic, pomp-laden epic that's been firing London warehouses all summer."

Comment

It's rare to hear industrial music described as pleasant I'd say.

Comment

That doesn’t entirely surprise me. Nor does it interest me a great deal. Although it is more interesting than some of the other stuff there on Wikipedia about techno, house, and what-have-you. I imagine that it helps if you are young and/or getting out. I hope that others find it useful.

I have some rudimentary ‘DJ’ software (from circa 2001!). It is enough for a straightforward ‘pitch it down’ exercise. I’ve been fiddling about with it for a couple of evenings now. It seems to work well with what would otherwise be annoyingly chipper bossa tracks. It adds a welcome touch of weariness and ennui. Some promising results also with a couple of glossy guitar-based proto-disco tracks. Slowing the guitar seems to give a bit of swagger and brings it closer to the funky library/soundtrack vibe that I like.

I tried it on a mildly funky orch VG+ type track. But it didn’t add anything. I’ll have to ferret around for other possibles.

Thinking ahead, I have often thought that the only thing that puts me off most 70’s afro-based tracks is that they are too dance-oriented. There might be some contenders there. Perhaps those that are more guitar based?

Comment

"That doesn’t entirely surprise me. Nor does it interest me a great deal"
                              Apologies for precisely answering the question you asked, don't worry I won't waste your time again.

Comment

Working...
                              X