Pioneer PL-30K turntable - any thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer PL-30K turntable - any thoughts

I've shied away from automatic turntables, thinking I'm some sort of audiophile, but I've enjoyed my current Project deck, which someone here commented was basically some MDF and a watchmakers motor, so this new Pioneer is quite appealing to me. Anyone got one/seen or heard one?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...tables/PL-30-K

North of the River Cole

For that kind of money you should be able to pick up something far better from the golden era of turntables, roughly 1970-1982. Can't comment on that pioneer but in my experience, anything made today tends to be based on cheap DC motors, plastic, and chinese components that last until the warranty expires.

I picked up a Technics like this (mine's a D3 actually) for next to nothing and it is an amazing bit of kit. Great platter with lots of mass, quartz locked direct drive so speed stability spot on, handy auto functions, decent arm with antiskate... there are plenty of decks of this ilk to be had for under a ton.

A couple of years back I sold on one of these Technics d30 which is probably a bit closer to that Pioneer in looks/spec. That was a nice deck.

I've also got a soft spot for these sonys, underrated in my opinion and easy to find for cheap.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

I'm no expert in these matters Redex, but that Pioneer turntable bears an uncanny similarity to my own PL-130 (like the one pictured) which dates from the eighties, suggesting that Pioneer have (perhaps unsurprisingly) invested little in product development in the intervening years. The chief differences are that the P-130 is only auto return (i.e. semi-automatic) and doesn't feature a built in phono stage, which it wouldn't have needed at the time since they were a standard feature on most amplifiers back then.

It's been a trusty servant considering the hard working life it's had, my main issues being it's rather flimsy and insubstantial arm that does tend to pick up a lot of the general ambient noises of disc flipping and an alarming tendency for the arm to drop too low on the auto-return phase which has occasionally damaged my vinyl. I had to evolve a way of disabling the auto-return to avoid this.

It has also recently developed a strange habit of suddenly speeding up for a few seconds and then slowing down again when playing 33s and despite trying several new drive belts, it's still prone to inserting 'Chipmunk breaks' at random. Replacement belts, cartridges and stylii have been reasonably cheap and easy enough to buy online, but I'm no longer convinced that the belts you find these days are anything but rough approximations of the original.

Thus I'm in the market for something new (or second-hand) myself - I also have a dislike for Project style 'less is more' MDF tiles and will insist on at least a simple speed changer as a minimum requirement. Thanks Eclectiktronik for your tips - some nice looking kit there, particularly that Sony with the 'pepperpot' platter - very eighties!
      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
      X