Dave Clark Five on BBC2 tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Clark Five on BBC2 tonight

The Dave Clark Five documentary 'The Dave Clark Five and Beyond:Glad All Over' is on BBC 2 tonight at 10.05. Director/producer a certayne Dave Clark. Later on The Joe Meek film is on.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Thanks for the heads up, sky box set to record. Last two episodes of Spiral on at same time, can't miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      Director/producer a certayne Dave Clark.

'I've got a bad feeling about this....'

Hmmm...not my 'fave' 60s group by any measure, but I wouldn't mind seeing an independent assessment of their career for once. Unfortunately Dave Clark is rather notorious for embroidering his own legend. You might recall it was he who bought up all the old 'Ready Steady Go' episodes in the eighties, and he later stood accused of re-editing them to make it look like the DC5 were rather more popular than they actually were.....apparently much of the integrity of the original episodes was horribly butchered in the process....that's pretty unforgiveable if true....

Wouldn't mind seeing a rerun of 'Catch Me If You Can' at some point though....it's been a long time since I saw it, but I seem to recall it wasn't half bad....
      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
        [IMG] Unfortunately Dave Clark is rather notorious for embroidering his own legend. You might recall it was he who bought up all the old 'Ready Steady Go' episodes in the eighties, and he later stood accused of re-editing them to make it look like the DC5 were rather more popular than they actually were....
        Ah yes, every one of the re-edited shows had a Dave Clark 5 interlude, complete with badly cut-in footage of screaming girl fans in a completely different theatre, probably watching a completely different band.....I found it quite funny!

Dave's quite cagey about how much RSG he actually has, though people who know about these things reckon there are probably only about 5-6 complete shows surviving, if that, and he's been quite clever in eking out what he has. Mind you, 5-6 complete shows surviving is quite good for a Rediffusion production.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
          Ah yes, every one of the re-edited shows had a Dave Clark 5 interlude, complete with badly cut-in footage of screaming girl fans in a completely different theatre, probably watching a completely different band.....I found it quite funny!.
          Yes LT, I'm starting to see the amusing side. I watched the show tonight and if I'm honest it wasn't quite as bad as I'd feared - although often for the wrong reasons. if you haven't watched it yet then can I suggest you incorporate a drinking game whereby you take a shot every time the words 'Dave Clark 5' and 'Beatles' appear in the same sentence. In fairness, I'd kind of forgot that the DC5 were pretty huge in the USA.

The celebrity talking heads seemed curiously malleable, as if they'd been quite heavily 'briefed' on exactly what they should say about the DC5. Perhaps only The Boss and Little Steven came over as totally sincere, but then they do know and love their sixties tunes. You do get the feeling that Dave had called in every single last favour he was owed, to the point where the proceedings start to develop a faint whiff of blackmail. Indeed, I began to wonder if Dave, being the astute businessman he is, had also bought up the rights to the Max Clifford Photo Archive. Incidentally, Dave as he is today makes no appearance and it's sometimes difficult to determine who is providing the voiceover, and perhaps more importantly, given Dave's previous revisionist form, when.

It's about 40 minutes too long, largely due to a hugely overblown homage to his frankly rather dull musical, 'Time'. It may have been that my coffee had been spiked with LSD or something, but I'm fairly certain that during this passage I heard Sir Ian McKellen not only compare Dave's dramaturgy skills to those of Bertolt Brecht but to further opine that 'Time' was actually 'more entertaining'....

On the positive side, some props were finally paid to Mike Smith for being the great singer he was and the others too, although I can't honestly say that beyond the few hits that gave rise to the 'Tottenham Sound' construct and a few other cherry-picked items, the band ever really struck me as 'great', albeit hamstrung as they were by that incessant tub-thumping....

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
          Dave's quite cagey about how much RSG he actually has, though people who know about these things reckon there are probably only about 5-6 complete shows surviving, if that, and he's been quite clever in eking out what he has.
          Well, if nothing else, I suppose I have to thank DC for keeping this intact, a permanent resident in my Youtube favourites and quite possibly the greatest live performance ever captured by TV cameras....

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Now there's a bold statement! It is fantastic , don't get me wrong.
            Recorded the DC5 doc, haven't seen it yet. I like a lot of their stuff, but not all of it by any means. Looking forward to watching it.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
              In fairness, I'd kind of forgot that the DC5 were pretty huge in the USA.

The celebrity talking heads seemed curiously malleable, as if they'd been quite heavily 'briefed' on exactly what they should say about the DC5. Perhaps only The Boss and Little Steven came over as totally sincere, but then they do know and love their sixties tunes. You do get the feeling that Dave had called in every single last favour he was owed, to the point where the proceedings start to develop a faint whiff of blackmail. Indeed, I began to wonder if Dave, being the astute businessman he is, had also bought up the rights to the Max Clifford Photo Archive. Incidentally, Dave as he is today makes no appearance and it's sometimes difficult to determine who is providing the voiceover, and perhaps more importantly, given Dave's previous revisionist form, when.

It's about 40 minutes too long, largely due to a hugely overblown homage to his frankly rather dull musical, 'Time'. It may have been that my coffee had been spiked with LSD or something, but I'm fairly certain that during this passage I heard Sir Ian McKellen not only compare Dave's dramaturgy skills to those of Bertolt Brecht but to further opine that 'Time' was actually 'more entertaining'....

On the positive side, some props were finally paid to Mike Smith for being the great singer he was and the others too, although I can't honestly say that beyond the few hits that gave rise to the 'Tottenham Sound' construct and a few other cherry-picked items, the band ever really struck me as 'great', albeit hamstrung as they were by that incessant tub-thumping....
              My thoughts pretty much exactly. Thanks for saving me typing time!
              I did think The Boss was generally very quiet (I did miss the first 15 minutes or so) and came across as a little perplexed, as if he couldn't quite believe what he had been asked(paid?) to partake in and couldn't quite bring himself to the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                thanks for that, ffs
                God, sorry Colonel. That was a while ago- I just didn't think. Apologies.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
                X