Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defence of having a collection of stuff

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/07/a...the-pack-rats/
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

I've got a smidgeon of room in my garage if anyone wants to store their records there
    Did anyone else see the news item yesterday about Digital Detox holidays? Similar thinking.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

It's all a bit of a tinfoil hat, I'm guessing the writer's over 50 & can't work his iphone that his kids made him buy.

It's one thing to have a collection of library records & quite another to have a giant pile of your own turds wrapped in newspapers, the reality of the true hoarder

Comment

Although the article is clearly exaggerating for effect the minimalist approach to interiors does sadden me
        I like there to be things, ornaments, books, magazines - evidence of human existence. Instead people (like Mrs E) seem to want their houses to resemble sterile Homes and Gardens photo shoots

I blame Kanye West - for no other reason than no one seems to like him at the moment
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
          It's all a bit of a tinfoil hat, I'm guessing the writer's over 50 & can't work his iphone that his kids made him buy.
          Not sure how old Mr S is ( I'm going to have a wild guess and say 45) but his group 'Chain and the Gang' are jolly good, as were 'Make Up' before that. I agree with what he's saying. The tyranny of 'de-cluttering', which is being heavily pushed these days, is not for me. People are not supposed to like having 'things' anymore- or they're not supposed to have too many 'things'. Everybody on this board must be familiar with the phrase " How long would it take you to listen to all of them"? As if it'd be a crime if you didn't regularly go through them from A to Z to make sure they were all getting used.
          I have a feeling it was T E Lawrence who said, when asked by someone if he's read all the books which lined his room said "No; and those are not all the books I've read "
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
            the article is clearly exaggerating for effect
            You betcha. The writer Ian Svenonius is also responsible for such learned material as "Supernatural Strategies For Making A Rock 'N' Roll Group" which purports to be written via seance by a series of dead rock stars. Its also hilarious and deadpan as to how to market your band's ideology.

As for his other book, The Psychic Soviet, which looks like a copy of Mao's little red book except in bright pink...or indeed his various musical endevours.....fascinating but not for everyone's taste.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

The Psychic Soviet is a great book and I recommend it heartily to anyone. Rock n Roll is capitalist poison!!!

As to the article, it's pretty obvious that computer chips are mutating the world so everyone will live in either clean microchip apple temples or retreat to cluttered record collecting sanity earth nodes. Then there will be a mental war a big flash and a new era will be born. We have already been here with Maya. That's all about computer chips:

Quetzalcoatl is Steve Jobs. In case you are wondering.

Hoarders are the only thing standing between these incomprehensibly rich, all-controlling, indecent, digital super-despots and the complete destruction of any alternative consciousness — and indeed any non-official history or interpretation of the world.
              Certainly whoever has the most records after the big flash is crowned king of the world. But only for a day, and then his heart is eaten.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I'd also recommend his 'Soft Focus' interviews, especially those with Mark E Smith, and Terry Hall.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I liked The Psychic Soviet too. He's definitely not one to let facts or logic stand in the way of his argument but when I agree with him I don't care.

Comment

I was thinking about this in relation to clothes recently.

Steve Jobs famously wore the same shirt tucked into the same jeans for ever and Billy no mates from Facebook wears the same shirt every day, except he throws yesterdays shirt in the bin every day. Both men also have haircuts they got from photofit pictures of sex pests. Obviously their brains are working on more important things to be cluttered up by considerations of fashion, but if I was as rich as them I would look bloody fantastic, like a bird of paradise from Wolf Hall set in the future.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

That article is a lot of text for defence of collecting.
                      As long as I'm not as obsessive or anti-social aa some people I know, it's probably gonna be ok.
                      LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

I'm with these guys....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31450389

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post

It's one thing to have a collection of library records & quite another to have a giant pile of your own turds wrapped in newspapers, the reality of the true hoarder
                          The libes are undeniably more difficult to source, but turds offer more of a challenge in terms of archiving and curating.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                            I was thinking about this in relation to clothes recently.

Steve Jobs famously wore the same shirt tucked into the same jeans for ever and Billy no mates from Facebook wears the same shirt every day, except he throws yesterdays shirt in the bin every day. Both men also have haircuts they got from photofit pictures of sex pests. Obviously their brains are working on more important things to be cluttered up by considerations of fashion, but if I was as rich as them I would look bloody fantastic, like a bird of paradise from Wolf Hall set in the future.
                            Gilbert & George operated on a similar basis but looked well smart.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                              Gilbert & George operated on a similar basis but looked well smart.
                              Indeed

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X