Alexandro Jodorowsky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexandro Jodorowsky

Wow! I downloaded Holy Mountain (the film) the other day and this is off the charts for genius psychedelic film making!

A Christlike figure wanders through bizarre, grotesque scenarios filled with religious and sacrilegious imagery
    Then I tracked down 'Fando Y Lis'. Haven't watched it yet but the synopsis sounds interesting...

Fando and his partially paralyzed lover Lis search for the mythical city of Tar.
    So has anyone got a dvd or 'El Topo' they could rip for me?

And check his work out if you get the chance.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

I wish
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
      Wow! I downloaded Holy Mountain (the film) the other day and this is off the charts for genius psychedelic film making!

Then I tracked down 'Fando Y Lis'. Haven't watched it yet but the synopsis sounds interesting...

So has anyone got a dvd or 'El Topo' they could rip for me?

And check his work out if you get the chance.
      I'm a huge Jodorowsky fan, unfortunately 'Fando Y Lis' is pretty uninteresting in my opinion - don't get your hopes up too high...

'El Topo' on the other hand... that's amazing stuff! Starts with a cowboy riding into a town where there's bodies laying about after a massacre. He's got a nude child on with him, and when they find the sole survivor (badly injured) he gives the boy a gun and has him shoot the poor man in a sort of becoming-a-man ritual - and it's after that the weirdness really begins. A wild trip.
      I might be able to get you a rip... a friend has the DVD.
      And did you know... there's a soundtrack to El Topo that's pretty uninteresting I think - BUT then there's the Shades of Joy on Douglas - that has music inspired by El Topo made by that movies original soundtrack composer Martin Fierro AND Alejandro Jodorowsky himself!
      And that record is an absolute killer trip through long soundtracky jazz and funk. Been reissued too - so you won't have to spend the £90 for an original (though I found my OG for the more affordable sum of £3 cuz the dealer had no idea what it was worth and neither had I - until next week when I popped in to the store and he told me what the priceguides said with a not-so-happy look on face....)
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I bumped into a guy in a pub some years back and we were discussing films and he was raving about one he'd just seen saying it was crazy and amazing. all i can remember about what he said was that the sound effects were made by an old mexican guy and all he used was his wallet to create the sounds. I have a feeling that the film might have been El Topo.
        can anyone confirm?

Comment

Damn I really need to see this now!

re El Topo OST - yes the 'Shades Of Joy' is the one to get. Something I must do sometime (I think its more like $50). I've seen a 45 of it too.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

There are various El Topo dvds about, but choice is better if you can play multi-region...there's a detailed synopsis of the movie on this listing here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6&category=617) Santa Sangre's a later one, but very strange & Mexican too - as are Luis Bunuel's movies, which obviously heavily influenced our bearded nutcase...check his silents like 'Chien Andalou' (opening shot, an eye being sliced open) & 'L'Age d'Or' (featuring Jesus leaving an orgy, among much else) and you see exactly where Jodorowsky was coming from...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

There's also the story about John Lennon liking El Topo so much he talked their manager into financing Holy Mountain - in later years he went nuts and started to hate Jodorowsky and the movie he owned the rights to - he refuses to sell the rights or make a legit DVD of the film, and rumour has it he tries to buy all the 35mm prints of the film so he can destroy them....

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
                ...check his silents like 'Chien Andalou' (opening shot, an eye being sliced open)
                It's a boiled egg...
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                  It's a boiled egg...
                  Really? I always thought it was a cow they had shaved around the eye...
                  That's the story I heard...

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
                    Really? I always thought it was a cow they had shaved around the eye...
                    That's the story I heard...
                    That's the one I understood as correct, too: bear in mind these guys were happily ladling honey into the eye sockets of dead donkeys to create lovely 'putrifaction' effects, so getting a cow's head from a butcher's wouldn't have been something they'd be shying from out of squeamishness...

I have the dvd box of both shorts, and I'm sure it'll confirm or deny it in among the hours of extras I've yet to watch which way it was done...it's definitely in a socket whatever it is, and I'm not sure why they'd remove an eye from a cow's head, replace it with an egg, and film that.
                    Last edited by wayne; 10-03-2005, 02:08 PM.
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Where's our Homer emoticon when I need it??? (Which is frequently, apparently ).
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
                        it's definitely in a socket whatever it is, and I'm not sure why they'd remove an eye from a cow's head, replace it with an egg, and film that.
                        maybe they like removing eyes from their sockets?
                        i'm fairly sure i would, but then i'm a bit morbid....

Comment

talking of weird films - has anybody got a copy of "La Jetée" by Chris Marker?
                          http://www.iueke.com/

Comment

talking of weird films - has anybody got a copy of "La Jetée" by Chris Marker?
                            Isn't this the film Terry Gilliam used as a basis for Twelve Monkeys?

I've heard great things about it. I think I'll add it to my Amazon rental list.
                            Last edited by left hand corner; 10-03-2005, 03:28 PM.
                            records - one a week mixcloud
                            records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

?!

"Holy Mountain" is definitely Jod's most visiaully exciting work. . .El Topo has moments. . Fando y Lis is a bit meandering but also has some nice moments. .. Santa Sangre has a comprehensible plot (!) but isn't quite as mental as his earlier stuff.

More relevantly, there are at least a couple of Mexico only Jodorosky related LP's. I recall seeing 2 of these on the 'Bay, and one is listed on popsike.com. . .

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=2599232672

Be nice to score one of those for 3 quid. . .!

Comment

Working...
                              X