• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A recordable picture flexi-disc:

http://imgur.com/a/ZjC4B

Originally posted by Tinhat Toyboy View Post
    Wow. - fantastic stuff!
    What is the story here?
    Love that Pepsi offers free checking - whatever that means???
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Apparantly in WW2 our forces and usa forces could send back a flexi they recorded for their family,friends,loved ones. I have a couple and they are pretty similar ie "Hope your all ok, Give my love to the family, Say hello to the dog" etc Sound quality is pretty bad, worse than a normal flexi. Captures a nice piece of history tho.
      There were also flexi recording machines set up at some train stations, holiday resorts etc. A bit like a photo booth, you go inside, put your money in, sing a song, say your thing etc Wait outside and your own personal flexi comes out. I know a guy about 65 now and he has one of him and his brother badly singing and you can hear the train go past. I have one of them. It is a pushy Dad on holiday with his kids sending one back to their Grandma. Dad "Go on say hello to your Grandma its working now" 2 kids voices "Hi grandma!" Dad "Go on tell her what you been doing, we haven,t got much time you know" Totally worthless but whats on them fascinates me. Sound quality is often so bad that you couldn,t even really sample it. The grooves are virtually non existent, so they play with squeaks, noises and hiss.

Comment

One of these machines plays a pivotal part in the narrative of 'Brighton Rock', of course.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Could you elaborate please. Cheers

Comment

Who me? BE WARNED, CONTAINS 77 YEAR OLD SPOILERS.

Well, Pinky Brown the teenage gangster marries Rose, a waitress who was a witness to a murder, so that she won't be able to give evidence against him. He despises her, and she is besotted with him. When they come across a recording booth Rose asks Pinky to record his voice for her. He does, but instead of the romantic message she is expecting he tells her how much he hates her. She doesn't have a record player, and the book ends after Pinky's death when she is going off to listen to the disc for the first time. She still believes he loves her, so is in for a nasty shock. In the film version, Pinky has damaged the record, scratching it so that the key message is 'I love you - I love you'. It's a less brutal ending, but not as consistent with Greene's bleak world view.

Comment

Yeah, his message of hate conveniently begins "You expect me to say I love you... I love you.... I love you...." with the scratch meaning the next line, beginning "But..." is wiped away.

Comment

Obviously, she doesn't ever attempt to move the stylus on...

Comment

Working...
                X