Compression Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Experiment

As the debate between audiophiles from around the globe about the quality of sound across formats (Vinyl vs CD vs mp3 vs FLAC etc) rages on, I thought this was a highly relevant and great concept. I actually really like the results of this 'experiment' too!

http://askaudiomag.com/articles/here...-is-compressed
    Destroy all the stereotypes

Agree, it's a good track in its own right. It's not just noise because it retains a trace of the structure (melody, beat) of the song itself.

So if this is played exactly in sync with a compressed version of the track then, I wonder, do we effecftivley have a lossless track at a fraction of the size of a wav? Is that possible?

Comment

It's the only way I'm ever going to listen to Suzanne Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
        So if this is played exactly in sync with a compressed version of the track then, I wonder, do we effecftivley have a lossless track at a fraction of the size of a wav? Is that possible?
        Nah. There will be more than what's in the Vimeo playback because of the limitations of Vimeo's codec.

If you were to record what's been lost in MP3 encryption to a lossless format, you'd need a really large bandwidth to encompass the lower and higher frequencies that are chopped out too.

It's possible that you could develop something dynamic, akin to how HD telly or flash streams work. Though there'd be a set of circumstances that could make the system fall over.

Comment

Originally posted by Xann View Post
          Nah. There will be more than what's in the Vimeo playback because of the limitations of Vimeo's codec.

If you were to record what's been lost in MP3 encryption to a lossless format, you'd need a really large bandwidth to encompass the lower and higher frequencies that are chopped out too.
          Don't ALAC or FLAC provide lossess compression with file sizes much smaller than WAV?

It's possible that you could develop something dynamic, akin to how HD telly or flash streams work. Though there'd be a set of circumstances that could make the system fall over.
          Isn't that what VBR MP3s do?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
            Don't ALAC or FLAC provide lossess compression with file sizes much smaller than WAV?
            FLAC is quite cool - It reduces file size by about 50% of the AIFF - Stereo 44.1K

WAV is variable density, so I'd have to look at the tables before telling you how much memory it eats exactly matching CD's performance.

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
            Isn't that what VBR MP3s do?
            Aye. Though there's different ways of implementation. Some codecs use maths to squish, others change the way the information is generated.

An easy example is with picture broadcast. Instead of having a completely new picture frame by frame, you can just tell your viewer repeat the previous frame and just alter the pixels that have changed.

Trouble is, if a lot of the pixels change at the same time, you reach the limit of your bandwidth and the picture becomes blocky to compensate.

I work in internet broadcast, we're always looking at ways to squish more down the line. We currently use MP2 Level 10.

Comment

Working...
            X