No announcement yet.

Classical Music Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not given a full listen yet, it needs a clean... i'm probably not the best person to ask though, I think the most I've ever spent on a classical record is a fiver!

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post

(Note to self: keep an eye out for the female violinists)

I hear it's the Japanese who go especially mad for these, hence some huge prices.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• Sparnaay redux!

He had a bit of a thing going with the ‘bass clarinet-over-a-background’ format did Harry. See his first recording on discogs and you’ll see that he is playing over some musique concrete. Rare in the original, but reissued by Cacophonic.

“Bouwenstenen” is Harry’s own composition. He plays over a tape of clarinet sounds. I like it best where it is moodily ambient. And that is a large part of it. However, early in the piece we get a couple of brief spells where, apparently out of nowhere, he completely changes pace and tone. One of them puts me in mind of fairground music. If I keep the rip of this I’ll try to edit them out.

Harry also features in “Seven Pieces for Bass Clarinet and Orchestra” by Tristan Keuris. Dedicated to Harry, it was. I wonder what he made of it. I find it unremarkable. I must have listened to it something like 15 times. Active listening has, though, I concede, been fitful. It just isn't that interesting.

I haven't listened at all to Geert Van Keulen's "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra". Tell me if you are thinking of buying a copy and you want my thoughts.

Comment

• Newbie here. Have been raiding the classical bins for the last decade. Finally worked out how to get approved to post so thought I would share some recent finds.

First up, my local charity shop got a giant donation of Lyrita releases last week so was pretty easy to go through and pick out all the TAS list LPs. Was a bit like being able to get in a time machine. Unfortunately they don't appear to have Malcolm Arnold 'English etc Dances' unless someone else got it before me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180402-162529.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1051471

Second up, from a trip to Reckless in London yesterday Bernstein Mahler 2 and from a trip to NY last month Bernstein Mahler 3. The Mahler 3 was $15 and is NM. The Mahler 2 was £125 and is unplayed but is worth at least £250. I already have a Mahler 2 which I picked up for £2 and have NM charity shop copies of 1,4 & 5. I would like to try and get a full set sourced from charity shops. I have never seen 7 & 9 in the wild in spite of the fact they are by far the least valuable.

Name:	IMG-20190914-164725.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1051472
          And finally from a couple of weeks back my best recent purchase for the princely sum of £1 a NM stereo Readers Digest 'Treasury of Great Music'. Not overly valuable but literally one of the great hidden treasures of the charity shops. Stunning performances brilliantly engineered and a fine Decca pressing to boot.

Name:	IMG-20190914-164752.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1051473

Comment

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

I hear it's the Japanese who go especially mad for these, hence some huge prices.
            It's actually driven primarily by China and Hong Kong and to an extent Korea. I have been selling for the past decade and almost invariably the highest prices come from China. The market for the high end records has grown hugely. Albums which were selling for maybe £300 back in 2011-12 have doubled and the £750-£1,000 records are now in the £1,500-£3,000 range in top condition. The lower end has dropped a bit because the market has been flooded by some wholesalers.

But yes...basic rule of thumb is violin and cello (and ideally NM).

Comment

• Originally posted by Irwin69 View Post

It's actually driven primarily by China and Hong Kong and to an extent Korea. I have been selling for the past decade and almost invariably the highest prices come from China. The market for the high end records has grown hugely. Albums which were selling for maybe £300 back in 2011-12 have doubled and the £750-£1,000 records are now in the £1,500-£3,000 range in top condition. The lower end has dropped a bit because the market has been flooded by some wholesalers.

But yes...basic rule of thumb is violin and cello (and ideally NM).
              Madness ...
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Newbie here. Have been raiding the classical bins for the last decade. Finally worked out how to get approved to post so thought I would share some recent finds.
                welcome, and great to see someone new posting on this thread

First up, my local charity shop got a giant donation of Lyrita releases last week so was pretty easy to go through and pick out all the TAS list LPs. Was a bit like being able to get in a time machine. Unfortunately they don't appear to have Malcolm Arnold 'English etc Dances' unless someone else got it before me.
                The Malcolm Arnold was one I found years ago, I knew the pieces from playing them in youth orchestras. It has a pretty unappealing pink sleeve. Had no idea it was worth anything until it started to rise up through the ranks pricewise on my Discogs collection.

I have the Moeran and also his (only) Symphony on Lyrita, both nice. The Elizabeth Maconchy and Walter Leigh look interesting.

Wasn't really aware of the TAS list until last year when I bought this Massenet / El Cid, and was surprised to see how much it went for:
                https://www.discogs.com/Massenet-Cit.../master/532924
                (couldn't find my copy just now for a picture) and some of the listings on popsike mentioned "TAS". Since Studio Two not really known for classical and no big names involved was a bit of a surprise

Comment

• What is the TAS list?

Comment

• Someone hereabouts had a collection that included a number of LPs featuring compositions by Don Banks.

Also a few other Oz contemporary classical things.

I am particularly pleased to have picked up Conyngham's "Ice Carvings".

The Australia Contemporary Music Ensemble LP is a spare.

See also the general finds thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                      What is the TAS list?
                      http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...super-lp-list/

sort of a "records you should own" with an audiophile slant. likely responsible for some of the high prices in classical records, although a lot on the list are still cheap because they sold well at the time.
                      gets bonkers when you move away from classical - i mean, that Weavers Reunion LP they mention has had an audiophile 45RPM repress box set probably as a result of it
                      Last edited by bongolia; 20-09-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                        What is the TAS list?
                        The Absolute Sound List. Worth memorising for crate digging as there are some surprising records in there which you would probably normally pass by (eg Bob & Ray Stereo Spectacular, Flight of the Condor etc). Another list of sought after recordings is Arthur Salvatore (AS) http://www.high-endaudio.com. These lists help make crate digging more productive. Original CD pressings of high value TAS list albums also sell pretty well (ie Mercury Living Presence).

Comment

• Ta, worth knowing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post

welcome, and great to see someone new posting on this thread

The Malcolm Arnold was one I found years ago, I knew the pieces from playing them in youth orchestras. It has a pretty unappealing pink sleeve. Had no idea it was worth anything until it started to rise up through the ranks pricewise on my Discogs collection.

I have the Moeran and also his (only) Symphony on Lyrita, both nice. The Elizabeth Maconchy and Walter Leigh look interesting.

Wasn't really aware of the TAS list until last year when I bought this Massenet / El Cid, and was surprised to see how much it went for:
                            https://www.discogs.com/Massenet-Cit.../master/532924
                            (couldn't find my copy just now for a picture) and some of the listings on popsike mentioned "TAS". Since Studio Two not really known for classical and no big names involved was a bit of a surprise
                            The Fremaux Saint Saens Symphony No2 on TWO is also a big TAS list seller and is terrific recording/performance. The Massenet Le Cid on CD is also extremely expensive. Another TAS List CD worth keeping an eye out for is the fat box Decca full silver Marriner version of Rossini String Sonatas. This sells for around £200. I have come across two copies in the past 6 years.

Agree totally about the Arnold album cover it's awful. But a superb recording.

Comment

Agree totally about the Arnold album cover it's awful. But a superb recording.
                              was just a couple of minutes down the road from Walthamstow Assembly Hall earlier today...

on the subject of the TAS list etc - it's useful knowing the prices, but I've never thought much about value with classical stuff, it was just nice not to ever really think about value and very satisfying to be able to find decent records very cheaply with much less competition, compared with other genres.

I knew about some of the well known big money LPs (like the early HMV, Columbia and Decca) but I'm having to adjust my mental landscape now that LPs on previously unfashionable labels like Lyrita are sought after.

last week I popped out to the shops just before closing and looked in to a local charity, usual Mrs Mills etc LPs that have been there months, and there was this (but nothing else new):

Joshua Bell - Presenting...

Name:	20190920_084241.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1051552

A year ago I probably would have flipped past it - 1980s (look at the jeans!), composers i don't particularly like, etc - but on a hunch gave it a Google, turns out to have gone for 50-75 quid on ebay.

But then I gave it a spin to check the condition and really enjoyed it, so probably will have to keep it! Great sound, and other than a couple of slightly show-off-y pieces, really beautiful playing. He's now replaced the late Neville Marriner at the Academy of Saint Martin-In-The-Fields and plays a $4m Stradivarius...

Comment

Working...
                              X