Classical Music Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second that ooof on the Bernstein.

That video could do with an index. I watched 20 mins and gave up. The guy’s delivery didn’t help.

Comment

• I must be the only person in the world who doesn't think much of Deutsche Grammophon pressings. I just binned a whole bunch, mostly Mahler and Bruckner, that had come from Mrs SK's dad. I don't know if charity shops have any use for these things now. I hardly go to Charity shops any more but when I did the local shops had the same things that had been in there for years, just taking up space.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• I believe the high prices on DGG is driven by collectors in the far east, e.g. Korea.

I often pick up DGG, because once you get past the endless Herbert Von Karajan there are some good things. HVK is good on the right material, but I usually just avoid him, makes browsing easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
          I must be the only person in the world who doesn't think much of Deutsche Grammophon pressings.
          I'm sure you're not, but they've had a good rep for a very long time haven't they? Must be based on something.

My dear old Dad had a collection of about 50 or 60 LPs, and about 3/4 were DG. Maybe he was victim to the Exotic Factor of foreign pressings.

When I was young, anything that got played loud (i.e. classical) sounded great.

Maybe that's why my hearing isn't great now ;-)

Decca also seemed to be high on his list.

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

I'm sure you're not, but they've had a good rep for a very long time haven't they? Must be based on something.

My dear old Dad had a collection of about 50 or 60 LPs, and about 3/4 were DG. Maybe he was victim to the Exotic Factor of foreign pressings.

When I was young, anything that got played loud (i.e. classical) sounded great.

Maybe that's why my hearing isn't great now ;-)

Decca also seemed to be high on his list.
            It could just be that I don't have a nude shirohito stylus set into a BSE 3874653338T arm with an orange peel cantilever, and therefore I'm not getting the best from them.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

It could just be that I don't have a nude shirohito stylus set into a BSE 3874653338T arm with an orange peel cantilever, and therefore I'm not getting the best from them.
              Nude stylii? Now you're getting me hot & bothered!
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
              X