Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nizbit
    replied
    7 bidders and a fair few bids, there is no restoring that.
    It’s a myth that all classical types look after their records fastidiously, I’ve seen so many that are flawed, even real connoisseurs pieces that were really expensive 60 odd years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Were there a lot of bids? Maybe the buyer was a millionaire who has a secret, but very expensive method for repairing damaged LPs ... odd innit? ...

Leave a comment:

• Nizbit
    replied
    I was under the impression condition was of critical importance when buying/playing/collecting classical lps.
    This rare lp sxl 2026 sold there on evilbay for £88.
    It was sleeveless, untested with lots of marks either side feelable and non feelable, will have constant noise and jumps/skips and is a collection filler.
    Why would anyone want this? It has no value in this abysmal state, it’s the most inexplicable purchase I’ve ever seen.
    I guess I should’ve picked up the sleeveless Espana in the same state I saw in a chazza recently...

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
    Orff!

Leave a comment:

• Irwin69
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
    I found this one for a £1 a couple of months back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1BSj5Mp4LU/

Always eager to learn more about classical so am looking forward to your posts Irwin69.

WF
    Amazing. Very nice find. I think I have only found this twice. This album sells for a lot because it's a late classical vinyl pressing (1987) and it's Chung playing Kreisler. Reinterpretations of Kreisler are popular in the Far East. The CD has value as well as long as it's a full silver W.Germany version.

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    Orff!

Leave a comment:

• Willy-Fogg
    replied
    I found this one for a £1 a couple of months back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1BSj5Mp4LU/

Always eager to learn more about classical so am looking forward to your posts Irwin69.

WF

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    Another name to look out for.

Leave a comment:

• Irwin69
    replied
    Drove past second hand/junk shop yesterday on way to work and noticed new arrival of records in a bookshelf. Popped back today and found Mainardi Bach Cello Suites 1 & 2. Sadly the other three volumes weren't amongst the records. This is only the second Mainardi Bach I have found in the last 10 years. In great condition. Minor annoyance is this is UK pressing. But for £1 I am not complaining.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bach.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1051920

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    What do you make of it?

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
    This was a surprise find a couple of weeks back in a second hand shop. I was hoping that some of it might appear on my swap CD.

Not so.

Most of the pieces have something going for them. But there is nothing on there that is completely satisfying.

The last track is, I am afraid, a clunker. The problem is the sound of the Fairlight.

I won't do a track-by-track. If you are curious it is all there on Youtube, along with bonus cuts.
    I've got that. I was spurred on by your swap CD from a couple of years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    This was a surprise find a couple of weeks back in a second hand shop. I was hoping that some of it might appear on my swap CD.

Not so.

Most of the pieces have something going for them. But there is nothing on there that is completely satisfying.

The last track is, I am afraid, a clunker. The problem is the sound of the Fairlight.

I won't do a track-by-track. If you are curious it is all there on Youtube, along with bonus cuts.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by Irwin69 View Post
    Agree totally about the Arnold album cover it's awful. But a superb recording.
    was just a couple of minutes down the road from Walthamstow Assembly Hall earlier today...

on the subject of the TAS list etc - it's useful knowing the prices, but I've never thought much about value with classical stuff, it was just nice not to ever really think about value and very satisfying to be able to find decent records very cheaply with much less competition, compared with other genres.

I knew about some of the well known big money LPs (like the early HMV, Columbia and Decca) but I'm having to adjust my mental landscape now that LPs on previously unfashionable labels like Lyrita are sought after.

last week I popped out to the shops just before closing and looked in to a local charity, usual Mrs Mills etc LPs that have been there months, and there was this (but nothing else new):

Joshua Bell - Presenting...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190920_084241.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1051552

A year ago I probably would have flipped past it - 1980s (look at the jeans!), composers i don't particularly like, etc - but on a hunch gave it a Google, turns out to have gone for 50-75 quid on ebay.

But then I gave it a spin to check the condition and really enjoyed it, so probably will have to keep it! Great sound, and other than a couple of slightly show-off-y pieces, really beautiful playing. He's now replaced the late Neville Marriner at the Academy of Saint Martin-In-The-Fields and plays a $4m Stradivarius...

Leave a comment:

• Irwin69
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post

welcome, and great to see someone new posting on this thread

The Malcolm Arnold was one I found years ago, I knew the pieces from playing them in youth orchestras. It has a pretty unappealing pink sleeve. Had no idea it was worth anything until it started to rise up through the ranks pricewise on my Discogs collection.

I have the Moeran and also his (only) Symphony on Lyrita, both nice. The Elizabeth Maconchy and Walter Leigh look interesting.

Wasn't really aware of the TAS list until last year when I bought this Massenet / El Cid, and was surprised to see how much it went for:
    https://www.discogs.com/Massenet-Cit.../master/532924
    (couldn't find my copy just now for a picture) and some of the listings on popsike mentioned "TAS". Since Studio Two not really known for classical and no big names involved was a bit of a surprise
    The Fremaux Saint Saens Symphony No2 on TWO is also a big TAS list seller and is terrific recording/performance. The Massenet Le Cid on CD is also extremely expensive. Another TAS List CD worth keeping an eye out for is the fat box Decca full silver Marriner version of Rossini String Sonatas. This sells for around £200. I have come across two copies in the past 6 years.

Agree totally about the Arnold album cover it's awful. But a superb recording.

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    Ta, worth knowing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X