No announcement yet.

I'm in a rut music wise... What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in a rut music wise... What to do?

Hello people.

Music has been my passion in life since I was a kid and first heard a Fraggle Rock 7", but I find it's getting harder and harder to get those kicks you once felt when you were 18. One solution is going the audiophile route and become obsessed by the "perfect sound" and spend £100,000 on speaker cables. Another is giving up music altogether and take up stamp collecting or train spotting but I had a stamp collection when I was 10 and trains aren't that fascinating. Do you knowledgeable people have any tips or ideas what to do? How do you get out of that rut? Is it possible to force oneself to be interested in new releases? I think the last thing that made me sit up and take notice was a Steve Kuhn LP on Buddah but that was years ago... And I find a lot of modern music to be rehashes of music you've heard a million times before (apart from some electronic stuff). Is this a clear sign of me becoming a grumpy old man? Please help me! I don't want to end up on Steve Hoffman's forum, posting about the Beatles until the day I kick the bucket!!!

PS. I'm not drunk (yet).

This has come up several times. I find it inspiring to share good music with like minded people and experience it "through" them, that can somehow make it seem new. Brillo/Crillo/Zrillo nights can be good for this, or even just a private do with a few people.

Comment

Get yourself out and about listening to live stuff, it really lifts the spirits
      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Live music doesn't really do it for me, but a good purge sorts me right out. Slim down the collection. Sell off flacid material. Then spend too much money on records you shouldn't whilst chancing on cheap records from a period that makes you smile. Retreat into the cave basically, then come out roaring, having slain thee Beaste.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Start in the charts section... or sign up for an online swap... or check the thread where you have to listen to something you've not bothered with before... or spend £10 on 10 random records from a charity shop which you know nothing about... or take a wander through youtube clips... or sellers sites with sound clips... or go and see some live music... or get your mates round for a listening session...

Let me know if you're still stuck after all that... good luck.
          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Ah, I suspected that this had been discussed before. Maybe it's a lot more common than I thought. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will try them out and hope it will cure me. I totally forgot about the charts... They are a great and refreshing source of inspiration.

Comment

I go through periods like that. During those times I don't really listen to that much music. It's very rare that live music still gives me the same buzz as it did when I was 18, there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then. When I do find a band that gives me that thrill, I tend to travel far and wide to catch them, because experience tells me you have to grab these things with both hands while they are hot, as ultimately it will fade and be gone. In terms of shaking up your listening experience and engaging with other like minded souls, you could do worse than sign up for the Christmas swap, as you not only get loads of great new music to explore, but it shines a brighter light onto your own collection in terms of selecting tracks for your cd. Just a thought.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

All of the above.

However, perhaps it is a good thing. Perhaps you’ll find something else in life that is more rewarding. Why collect anything?

Slightly short of that, consider having a set period without music. I find that it helps lessen the risk of myopia that comes with listening and/or collecting. And possibly you’ll come back to it with a cleansed palate.

Like you, I am a bit sceptical about deliberately exposing myself to music that I am fairly sure will do nothing for me. For example, I left metal behind a long time back. I had no inclination to listen to nu-metal when that emerged. Possibly there is nu-metal that I would like. If so, I don’t feel that I have missed out.

Sooner or later, though if you go looking for it, it will find you.

Comment

Pick a band or artist you've previously not bothered or not got on with even though you think you probably should have. Maybe comp a bunch of their tracks for the car, ipod or whatever. I did this with 'cardiacs' a few years ago and became obsessed with them which was probably the first time in years I got that teenage buzz with one artists work and it all started because of one thought 'I want something heavy with odd time signatures for the car'. The music you love is there you just haven't 'got it' yet.
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

every march i seem to go through a Reggae phase, i like it. i just dont listen to it much really. but March i listen to it all the time. it kind of clears my head ready for what ever musical journey i am going on in the rest year.
                    maybe try that, pick something you dont listen to much and just listen to it. it makes your ears crave for your favorite music
                    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      In terms of shaking up your listening experience and engaging with other like minded souls, you could do worse than sign up for the vg+ disco swap, as you not only get loads of great new music to explore, but it shines a brighter light onto your own collection in terms of selecting tracks for your cd. Just a thought.
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                        every march i seem to go through a Reggae phase, i like it. i just dont listen to it much really. but March i listen to it all the time. it kind of clears my head ready for what ever musical journey i am going on in the rest year.
                        maybe try that, pick something you dont listen to much and just listen to it. it makes your ears crave for your favorite music
                        I find myself periodically going back to rocksteady and ska, and wondering why I bother with other music at all.

I'd second Medlar's live music solution but it depends on the venues near you, I guess.
                        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Just giving your ears a break is obviously very good as well.

Earlier this week, I found myself not wanting to most of my normal choices. I didn't want to listen to any rap, or rock based stuff. I found it noticeable weird to have such a strong reaction. The only thing that worked was some very gentle ambient stuff and then I payed Fuz's exotica swap CD from a couple of years ago which hit the spot.
                          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I like the sound of Paul-K's 'reggae march' idea. It's a bit like lent but involves Sizzla 7"s
                            MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

I'd stay away from that Steve Hoofman place. That guy comes across as a right unpleasant narcissistic arsehole of the first order.
                              It is however hilarious for unintentional laughs and an interesting demographic. Sometimes/rarely useful for info.

There's a whole 'anti' forum based on it - http://stereocentral.tv/phpbb/index.php
                              Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Working...
                              X