90s g funk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90s g funk

I grew up with n.w.a, DR Dre, snoop etc. I have the chronic, doggystyle EAzy Es 187 um killer etc. but I'm wondering as it's now been over 20 years since they came out, are there any undiscovered not so well know albums that came out at the same time?
    Maybe like a top ten g funk albums.
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

been researching and it turns out that Above the laws black mafia life came out at the same time as the Chronic, and is kind of the same thing. going to try get that.
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Think you'll like Above the Law mate. Their debut it great, a bit like the 'The D.O.C. - No one can do it better', I assume you've got the D.O.C., N.W.A guest on it, and it's produced by Dr Dre.

Some of the later Above the Law LP's go for a bit of money mind!
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Cosign on the early Dr Dre produced classics from the late 80s:
        NWA: Straight outta Compton
        Eazy-E: Eazy duz it
        DOC: No one co do it better
        Above the law: Livin' like husters

+
        NWA and the posse - comp
        King Tee: Act a fool
        CMW/Compton's most wanted: It's a Compton thing + Straight checkn em + Music to drive by
        Too Short: Life is too short + Born to mack
        DJ Quik: Quik is the name

Comment

i got the DOC album after a tip off here, also got the Livin like Hustlers at the same time. really like both them albums.
          love all Dre stuff, NWA, Eazy E. Ill check out the others listed.

this style had vanished by about 97 hadnt it?
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
            Southern Rap had really taken off by then, plus the whole indie scene was booming.
            I suppose around '95 was when the G-Funk style still held any interest with me personally with albums like Masta Ace Inc - Sittin' On Chrome (which kinda blended the East & West sound)
            plus WC & The Maad Circle's Curb Servin'. The follow up to Ain't A Damn Thing Changed from '91.

Comment

It all depends whether you limit yourself to stuff from los angeles or if you just consider it as a production aesthetic(p funk inspired/handclaps/bass heavy)
              i personally think l.a/bay area/90s southern stuff all fit the gfunk production style in some way.
              some more obscure los angeles artists i like
              tweedy bird loc
              B.G. Knocc Out and Dresta
              dazzie dee
              i smooth 7
              battlecat
              2nd 2 none
              bloods n crips

also you could check out these gangsta rap mixes/compilations dj sheep n i have been putting on soundcloud as they all have a lot of g-funk type production
              soundcloud took them all down for copyright reasons but i managed to trick them with a slight edit so they are back up now
              https://soundcloud.com/gangsteur-mic...t-trippin-reup
              https://soundcloud.com/djsheep/sets/salamander
              https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
              https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
              https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post

Comment

Suga Free

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                    King Tee: Act a fool
                    CMW/Compton's most wanted: It's a Compton thing + Straight checkn em + Music to drive by
                    A big yes to all of the above, especially CMW, DJ Slip, and the Unknown DJ's production is second to none, both highly underrated!
                    Last edited by mr sayers; 09-03-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Some 'Low Profile' might also hit the spot, not gangster as such, but has that west coast production -

Comment

Two great LP's not mentioned, are X Clan 'Towards The East Blackwards' and Digital Underground's 'Sex Packets' although not very 'Gangsta'
                        still use amazing P Funk sampled soundscapes as the basis for the tracks.
                        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

sex packets is one of my favourite albums. its also one of the main reasons i got into Hendrix. that and the voodoo chile sample in a two live crew track.
                          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

It's a great LP, very under rated.
                            Similar with the X Clan stuff. Paris 'Guerrilla Funk' LP has the P Funk element running through it and if I remember correctly Lords Of The Underground 'Keepers Of The Funk' LP has some input
                            from one George Clinton.
                            That's about all I can recall off the top.

Edit..

ah, I forgot this -
                            http://www.discogs.com/7-Days-Of-Fun.../master/630882

It's ace!
                            Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
                              Two great LP's not mentioned, are X Clan 'Towards The East Blackwards' and Digital Underground's 'Sex Packets' although not very 'Gangsta'
                              still use amazing P Funk sampled soundscapes as the basis for the tracks.
                              Neither of these qualify imo. The Gangster part is indispensable, Shock G is too much of a one-off, and X-Clan is on some East Coast "conscious rap", just sampling Parliament doesn't quite do it. G-Funk samples Parliament (or channels that sound) in a particular way.

There's a ton of indy releases that fit the bill, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the scene.

If you posted the same question on waxidermy you'd get some good responses I reckon.

Also, Warren G's regulate has not been mentioned and it's a classic.

Comment

Working...
                              X